By The BANDstand

It was Friday. There was no better feeling than knowing there were two whole days before she had to see children again. Not that she didn't like her class, well most of them, but peace and quiet and adult company, if Lee was around, was preferable.

Rosie wasn't sure what had possessed her to do art on a Friday afternoon. Now she found herself still wiping down tables before the cleaner, that most of the staff were scared of, appeared. She looked up at the clock. There were better places she could think of being at four o'clock on a Friday. But the end was in sight. By ten past, she had done enough and with a bag of books, she closed her classroom door and headed out to the car park.

She didn't notice the note at first as she passed the front of her car and put the books on the back seat. Getting in the driver's seat, Rosie put her key in the ignition, looked up and saw the folded piece of paper under the windscreen wiper. She got out and putting her arm around to the note, she pulled it out and got back in the car. Unfolding it, confused as to what it was going to say, Rosie read aloud.

Meet me at the BANDstand in the park at five. Wear your PE kit!

Her hand dropped into her lap and immediately looked around the car park, then back to the note. It wasn't Lee's handwriting. It wasn't his style. And wearing her PE kit! What was all that about? Not some pervert surely. Then she noticed the band of bandstand. It was in capital letters. A smile slowly spread across her face. It couldn't be. He was down in Kent somewhere. Only down the A2 or around the M25 somewhere, not necessarily miles away. She looked again around the car park. There was the caretaker carrying some bin bags, but nobody else was around. It was nearly twenty past four now. Rosie started the engine and with her mind working overtime she drove home.

After dashing around the house, getting changed and finding the cleanest trainers she could find, by just before five o'clock Rosie was heading towards the park gates. He could have chosen somewhere on her side of the park, but then he didn't know where she lived, if it was him! She could have read the message all wrong.

Rosie began the climb up the hill, knowing by the amount she was panting by the time she reached the top she really was unfit. Rounding the cafe building, Rosie could see the bandstand in the distance. Her heart was pounding and not just because of the exertion she'd just been through.

She peered towards the bandstand, suddenly wondering if it was all some big hoax or trick, but getting closer she could see someone standing there. It was him, there was no doubt. Rosie suddenly felt self-conscious in her tight cropped leggings and vest top, not unlike how she'd felt in the school hall a couple of weeks ago. Increasing her speed, she broke out in to a half jog, half walk sort of motion. As she neared, Rosie found it hard to keep the smile from her face.

Ricky had stepped down and was walking towards her. On arriving in front of him, Rosie wasn't as reserved as she had been on Sunday and received his embrace and kiss on the cheek quite happily.

"What's all this about?" she asked, looking at Ricky stood in his own bright green vest and black shorts and trainers.

"New experiences! I thought we'd start sooner rather than later." He raised his eyebrows in excitement.

Rosie just sighed, but stood with a grin on her face, "I have just done a day's work you know!"

"All the better to jog off your frustration of the day then," Ricky grinned back! "Come on," he headed back towards the bandstand, "We'll start with some stretches."

Rosie followed muttering under her breath, "I'm not being Tigger!"

"I heard that," he called behind him.