You Said Someone

How to greet each other? That was something Rosie hadn't thought about and now did not get chance to as Ricky leant forward and kissed her, on both cheeks.

She felt like she had lost the power of speech. Luckily Ricky didn't feel the same, "I'm sorry, I didn't see you until you stood up,"  he apologised.

"I didn't see you either." Rosie said nervously, adding a quick smile and wondering if she should stand still and wait for the next train to come and whisk her away. But her brain fought back. 'Get a grip Rosie!' she told herself.

"Shall we..."  Ricky pointed towards the exit and Rosie nodded, following him along the platform.

"How was your journey from Greenwich?  Which station do you come into?" Ricky asked, carefully navigating his way through the commuters, heading towards them,  wanting to catch the next train.

Rosie didn't bother answering until she was level again with Ricky, "Charing Cross. It was fine." There was a break in the crowd and they were level again as they headed to the escalator. Ricky jumped on ahead of Rosie, standing a step above her as they rose up towards street level. She looked at the man in front of her. He was wearing the sand coloured boots he'd been wearing on the beach. With grey marl trousers, he wore a cream coloured short sleeved shirt. His hair was hidden under a navy baseball cap...She looked away quickly as Ricky turned to see Rosie looking at him. He smiled, amused by the embarrassed look on her face.

"You look very nice, by the way," he told her as they got to the top of the escalator. Rosie returned his smile and thanked him, but he couldn't fail to notice the hesitancy on her face.

Rosie followed Ricky through the ticket barrier and they headed out towards the Sunday afternoon sun, but she was quite taken aback when after exiting the station Ricky suddenly turned to her. He picked up her right hand and held it in his as he stood facing her.

"Rosie, if this is in anyway awkward or I don't know...wrong for you, then please, you must say. I won't be in the slightest way offended."

Rosie gazed upon him. His eyes were firmly fixed on hers, trying to read her. He was giving her a get out clause, a way of reversing the choice she had made. For the second time in the last few minutes,  Rosie contemplated making her escape.

"No, thank you, but I'm happy I'm here. Unless you would rather go home. I mean, did you have plans? I wouldn't want to spoil anything." Ricky was shaking his head as she spoke.

"No, honestly I was going home to, well, if I told you you'd definitely want to go home!" Ricky looked slightly sheepish. He saw the confused look on Rosie's face so continued after a sigh, "I was going to watch an old episode of Jonathan Creek that had somehow passed me by." Rosie couldn't help but laugh at his confession. "It's not very rock and roll,"  Ricky continued, "but then nor am I. I've got simple pleasures me." He held her hand higher and with a slight shake of conformation he let go. "Shall we wander through the market?"

They walked along the High Street, making small talk about the weather and shops that they passed. Ricky pointed out murals on the buildings, explaining his interpretation of the strange looking images. Rosie just agreed, art wasn’t really her thing.

They walked past shops that, if Tina had have been with her, Rosie would usually have gone in like a shot. Today,  however,  she was just happy to walk along, listening to Ricky and feeling how lucky she was to have company.

"Would you like to?"  Ricky asked,  looking at her expectantly. Rosie shook her head, realising she had momentarily zoned out.

"Yes, I would," Rosie said,  not having a clue as to what she had just agreed to.