Fire Tounge

Tiernan didn't have to turn around to know that Erik had drawn his claymore and was waiting for Tiernan to move. A few shots were fired and two of the Pooka, the monkey like creatures, fell to the ground. Josh. Students screamed and scattered from the corpses. Tiernan spun and jumped and ducked, making quite a spectacle of killing the Pooka. A high pitched scream came to Tiernan's attention stopping him dead as he slit a Pookas throat. A small girl with flaming red hair was punching a Pooka that was attacking another fair haired elven girl. He jumped, ran over the chairs, and with a quick slicing motion cut of the creatures head.

Kneeling beside the crying elf, Tiernan asked: "Are you alright my dear? Are you injured?" Erik stood with his back to Tiernan, claymore raised, and ready to strike. The elf shook her head.

"There are a few scratches on her back sir." A quiet voice piqued up. It was the red headed girl. "They don't look deep though." Tiernan nodded and quickly checked the elf's back. The scratches really weren't deep.

"What are your names?" He asked smiling warmly, trying to calm the situation.

"I'm Sophia Meier." The readhead answered shyly.

"M-My name i-is Coriliat."

Tiernan nodded, and looked around for a guard. "Erik, Carlisle."

"Aye sir." The big scotsman ran off through the confusion to get the captain.

Tiernan turned back to Coriliat and Sophia. "Now girls, Erik is going to get one of my guards. His name is Carlisle. He is a human, and he will escort Coriliat to the infirmary. I don't think that you are seriously hurt, but I would rather be safe then sorry. You never know with Pookas" Tiernan started to get up, but had to duck as a Pooka flew at him, fangs bared. With a quick motion he sliced the creature in half. dark green blood splattered everywhere.

"Pookas sir?" Sophia asked, curious. "Is that what these things are?"

"Yuppers." A boy with a cocky grin answered. He was sniffing the dead Pooka Tiernan had just sliced. "Hi, I'm Dekker."

"You seem to know a lot about these creatures, Dekker." The headmaster simply observed, though he was quite astonished. How could a young werewolf know about Pookas? They were basically extinct. Only a few existed, and those had chosen to stay in the castle walls, keeping to themselves. Few students even knew about them.

"Yes sir, that I do. See a bunch of these-" He was cut of by Tiernan who pushed him down. "Oy!"

"Then watch the girls!" Tiernan shouted as he cut down several more of the Pookas. Dekkers mouth flopped open and shut like a fish on land. Sophia looked at Dekker as she protectively wrapped her arms around Coriliat. She shrugged and watched the headmaster swing his sabre this way and that, becoming a flurry of metal and blue fabric.

Tiernan was fully aware of the spectacle he was making of himself. That was his goal, but he was also trying to keep the Pookas off the students. Suddenly he was knocked off his feet by one. As he fell he hit his wrist on a chair, unintentionally letting go of his sabre, and watching it slide across the marble floor. He spun around. A Pooka was coming around diving at him with claws and fangs bared. He looked around, panicking slightly, and looking around for something to use as a weapon...when the room exploded with searing blue flames.

- - - - - - - -

Josh didn't know where the flames came from, all he knew was that they were very bright. His first reaction was to duck and get out of the way. Strangely enough the flames only seemed to target the Pookas. Trying to catch his breath he scanned the room for any injuries. This was not what Tiernan had expected. This was worse! When they expected a few assassins it definitely was not Pookas. Josh's mind whirled. What was going on? It was Erik who got his attention.

"Josh!" The scotsman withdrew his claymore from a dead Pooka.

"Yes sir?" Josh ran over to him and frowned. "What is it?"

"Do ye see anyone aside from the wee elf injured?" He spoke matter of factly. Erik was turning a bad situation into a lesson, as per usual for the old werewolf. And as per usual he leaned on his claymore, a big sword almost the same size as him. Josh proceeded to quickly scan the room. None of the students looked hurt, some of the guards were slightly battered.

"A few of the guards look battered, but aside from the little elf girl, Carlisle was tending, I don't see anyone hurt. Unless you are talking about Salem's pride." The elf pointed to Salem who was arguing with the press about security being slack at the academy. Erik laughed.

"Aye, that'd be true." He chuckled for a moment, but then he became serious again. "Now, what don't ye see?"

Josh paused to think. Everything was in order...well everything and everyone was still present, aside from the attacking Pookas. "All the Pookas are dead." He shrugged.

"Aye, but they still be visible." Erik frowned. "Where be Lord Tiernan?" Josh gasped and mentally kicked himself for overlooking the main duty he was charged with. "Now, don't be to hard on yerself laddie, we all make mistakes. Ye have better eyes then mine. Can ye see him?"

Both men looked around. Josh found him, Tiernan was sitting on the steps by the throne, covering his eyes. The two guards ran over to the headmaster, and Erik placed a heavy hand on his shoulder.

"Are you alright sir?" Josh kneeled in front of Tiernan and looked up at his face. A head shake was enough to let Josh know that his headmasters eyes were possibly injured. "Could you remove your hands please?"

When Tiernan didn't respond Josh forced the pale hands from his face. Tiernan slowly opened his eyes, for only a second, but it was enough for the elves quick eyes to see what was the matter. His eyes were severely bloodshot, and possibly very sore. In fact, Tiernan was probably rendered blind by the blue fire that had shot through the room.

"Sir! Sir!" Josh looked up to see Captain Carlisle running towards them. Erik intercepted him and stood there, frowning at the young ginger captain.

"What ye be wantin' of yer Lord laddie?"

"High Protector," Carlisle bowed. "Pardon the intrusion, but you will not believe where the fire came from! I seriously doubt it was an accident the Pooka were targeted!" He spoke excitedly, and there was a spring in his step. Captain Carlisle wanted to speak to Lord Tiernan, urgently. And it looked like he was going to get that chance.

"I beg your pardon?" Tiernan interrupted. He fumbled for his sunglasses, and smiled thankfully in Josh's direction when he put them in his hand. Not being able too see was a pain, letting other see he was blinded was even worse. Only then did he turn to Carlisle and Erik, or rather towards their voices. "What do you mean 'the Pooka were targeted'?"

Carlisle could instantly tell something was wrong with Tiernan. The headmaster was not his usual demanding self, nor did he tell his High Protector to move out of the way to see Carlisle. Not that it was any of his business, he had to report to Tiernan, the rest was up to the High Protector and his protege. "Well sir," He started. "You know how you told me to escort that young elf out of here to the infermary?"

"Yes I remember." Tiernan reached out for Josh's hand. The young elf quickly stepped up and helped his headmaster to stand. Tiernan kept one hand on Josh's shoulder so he could at least walk around safely. "She has a name and I would appreciate if you called her by it."

"Yes sir." Carlisle cast his eyes down, embarrased by the headmasters sudden outburst. "The flames came from Coriliat sir. She was getting anxious as I led her from the hall and she tried getting out as fast as possible. I simply mistook her anxiety for fear. Suddenly however, she bolted away from me, fell to her knees and screamed. The next thing I know the whole room is exploding in blue flames. When I looked to her to see if she was alright her hands and arms were covered in flames." He paused. "Sir, if I may, I think an interview with Coriliat may be overdue."