Preparations

The black and blue velvet robe hung heavily down to Tiernan's feet, and the gold filigree glinted in the candle light. In front of Tiernan stood his sword pedestal. On it, a beautiful but dangerous looking sabre. The silver edge of the sword shone with anticipation. He heaved a sigh and closed the last button. With an ease that belied his weariness he pulled the sword out of the pedestal, and slid it in its scabbard underneath the robe.

"Do you think they'll take the bait?" Josh came up behind him, fiddling with his leather armour.

"I don't know. I hope they do." Decision made Tiernan spun around to face Josh and grinned. "I certainly hope they do, its time I showed them not to mess with my territory. Where is Salem?"

Josh bit his lip, he was scared. "On her way. Last I saw she was barking orders at one of her men."Something strange was going on in the world, and Tiernan wanted to know what. Josh was terrified that his master would end up killing himself, something that happened on a regular basis according to Erik. Well...Tiernan working himself to the point of no return where Erik always ended up having to rescue Tiernan.

Suddenly the door slammed open, Josh jumped drawing his guns, and Tiernan leaned back against his table glaring.

"Salem." The young elf stated.

"What the hell do you want now Sir? Do you have any idea how busy it is!" An underlying growl betrayed her glare, she was anticipating action and she loved it.

"For you to watch your mouth for one. Josh sheathe your guns, and close the door." Tiernan stepped behind the desk and sat down in his big office chair. He folded his hands and leaned forward, his elbows on the old chestnut desk. "Sit." He pointed to two chairs. His two guards sat down quickly, not wanting to anger him. Tiernan was all business, and no one should anger the man when he was all business. "I have recieved information from a very reliable source that some of the students are here to kill me."

Salem immeadiatly protested. "How? I made sure to scan all the children to scan thouroughly multiple times! I would swear that upon my-"

"I understand and I hold no blame against you Salem." Tiernan interrupted her. "The fact of the matter is, I doubt even with your team's skills would you have been able to identify the danger. Whomever is here would cover their tracks throughly so as to not get in trouble with me." He paused waiting for a reply, but none came. "Something is lurking in the shadows something that wants to remain unseen for now. Whatever it is it wants to eliminate me, as such I must be a threat to them. Any ideas?" Tiernan looked at them, he knew the answer as well as them. And it hung in the air unsaid.

"You think...maybe...that its them? That maybe the-" A knock on the door interrupted Josh's thoughts.

"Yes?" Tiernan spoke up. "Come in."

It was one of the guards. "Sir, the students have assembled, and so has the rest of the staff. We are all waiting for you."

With a heavy sigh Tiernan stood up. To Salem and Josh it was obvious how tiered he was, whatever was happening was drawing on all his reserve strength. He was wearing thin, and so was whatever he was hiding. The academy was his last great shot, he was older then he looked, ancient. And of late, what anyone who didn't know him would misinterpret for annoyance, his age was catching up to him.