Chapter 32

"Auntie Kitty, you're not listening! What's this word?" Daisy pointed to a sentence in The Magic Carpet: A Second Grade Reader.

The men had searched Daisy's school bag, confiscated any electronics, and then left it with them. Cait had managed to get Daisy to take to the idea of doing her homework instead of asking for her dress to be washed – if the urine would offend Henri, they would put up with damp, smelly clothes.

"Sorry. Let's see. Ah that's a tough one. B-rrrr– or–" Cait sounded out the syllables, until the little elbow in her ribs told her to stop.

"Brought! 'I brought my lunch...'"

Of course, the problem with Daisy doing her homework was that it required Cait's attention when she needed to be working out what to do when Henri sent for them. The last thing Cait wanted to do was bring Daisy into arms' reach of Henri. Of course, she was unlikely to have the choice and had no reason to believe leaving Daisy in the cabin would be any safer.

A tug brought her attention back to Daisy. "Sorry, sweetie. Which word?"

"Need the loo." Daisy was holding herself with one hand and tugging at Cait with the other.

"Well, that's easy fixed." Cait slipped off the bunk and lifted Daisy off the bunk. "We've got our very own bathroom right in our bedroom."

"Like Mummy and Daddy." Daisy copied Cait's false smile. Cait slid open the door. It was surprisingly heavy.

"Do you want me to come in?" This was new for them. Cait had read bedtime stories and helped with dinner and homework but nothing quite so intimate.

"Yes please Auntie Kitty."

Her heart aching at the polite little plea, Cait smiled as reassuringly as she could and followed Daisy into the tiny compartment.

"It's much smaller than Mummy and Daddy's bathroom."

"Yes it is." There was barely enough room to turn to slide the door closed. The lock looked nice and heavy. She slid the bolt across and felt a little safer. "Do you need help with your dress? Or getting on the toilet? It looks a bit high."

"Yes, please."

Cait had hardly set Daisy on the seat when she said. "Okay. Turn around, please."

Cait turned, set her gaze on the white, metal door with its good, heavy lock. It was a good, heavy door. She knocked on it. Solid. Her heart began to pound.

"Finished." Daisy said. Cait helped her as quickly as she could then told her to wait inside for a minute. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere, I'm just going to open the door to look at it." Cait pulled the lock back and this time she heard a slight hiss, like suction releasing. There was rubber all around the recess the door slid in and out of and along its base. An anti-flooding measure? She pulled on the door.

"Don't leave me!"

"I won't. Daisy. I'm not. See?" She slid the door into its recess and kept one foot in the bathroom. "I'm just looking at the door."

The bolt-like lock could only be operated from the inside. Sliding the door back, she stepped into the bathroom.

"Daisy, sweetie? Can you reach this lock?"

Daisy frowned but moved to the door and put her hand on the lock.

"Can you lock it?" Cait asked.

It wasn't easy but she moved around until she got the right angle and pushed the lock home.

"Now can you open it by yourself?"