Chapter Five

Beginne am Anfang

I merely nodded, feeling myself start to blush. Fortunately, the waiter came by with our food, and our conversation changed to plans for the book signing the next day.

Lorelei, always the most energetic person I'd ever known, declared that she was not the least bit tired, so she was going to stroll down the Riverwalk while I took a nap. I felt bad for abandoning her, but after the drive topped off with a relaxing lunch and alcohol, I was beat and had a dull headache.

I wasn't sure how long I'd been asleep when I heard the sound of the door unlocking and Lorelei stepped into the room.

"Hey sleepyhead," she greeted me. I noticed she was carrying a couple of shopping bags.

"Hey," I rubbed my eyes. "What time is it?"

"Nearly four," she replied.

"Damn," I muttered, sitting up. "What'd you buy?"

Lorelei smiled, digging into her first bag and pulling out a long necklace with a pretty turquoise pendant.

"Very pretty," I nodded.

Then she reached into her second bag and pulled out two t-shirts.

"For the girls," she said.

"Lor, you didn't have to do that," I remarked.

"I wanted to," she shrugged, dropping the shirts back into the bag and setting everything on her bed as she sat down.

"That reminds me," I said, reaching for my phone. "I need to check in."

I send a quick text to Tod asking if the girls were okay. He immediately responded with a yes, saying that Emery was wanting to go shopping for a costume but he didn't have time, he had to teach. With a frown, I texted him back.

I took her yesterday. She didn't see what she wanted. You might have to order her something if she's really wanting to be that Steven Universe character.

I'm not ordering her a costume. She doesn't have to be that character. She can pick something else at the store.

Well then if you don't have time to take her, I'll have to take her Friday.

I guess so.

I wanted so badly to throw my phone across the room. Fucking Tod! Instead, I dropped my phone on the bed and walked to the bathroom, practically slamming the door behind me.

"You okay, hon?" I heard Lorelei call from the other side.

"I hate him!" I yelled back.

"Well, that's nothing new."

I washed my hands and splashed water on my face, trying my best to calm down. I was in another city, away from Tod and there was nothing he could do to me if I didn't let him. So with a deep breath, I ran my fingers through my hair and opened the door.

"Let's go out!" I announced.

"Yes!" cheered Lorelei.

Lor was in her element. I felt like a fish out of water. Which might be an ironic phrase to use considering the inside of the night club looked like an aquarium.

After a lovely dinner, we'd decided to have a drink at the bar of our hotel. But soon Lorelei got restless and asked the bartender if there were any fun night clubs nearby. He'd suggested one just a couple blocks away, and within minutes I found myself in a cab on my way to a club, the first time I'd been to one since my marriage.