37.5: Seth- Whiplash

Start from the beginning

Like Fletcher predicted, Enzo came just as we made it to the ending credits. I snapped the latch of the window open. Enzo grabbed the sill's edge and used his legs to catapult himself inside. We were all lanky and around the same height then, so it was no surprise for him to pull his weight and have no trouble squeezing through.

"Told you he'd come," Fletcher spoke as he gorged himself on cookies my mom brought earlier before she and dad left for a business trip. Both of them worked together and often left me home alone since their schedules kept them busy from having any personal time.

"You're just in time," I told Enzo, making note of his drenched appearance. "Dude, why didn't you bring an umbrella? You're getting the floor wet."

"Sorry," he mumbled. "You have any clothes I can borrow?"

"You don't need to ask," I go over to my closet, stumbling since it was relatively dark, and pull out a t-shirt and shorts. "So you gonna tell us what happened?"

Enzo's eyes twitched, but he made no other sign of acknowledgement. Lately, things have been piling on top of him and I could notice the toll it was taking on him. The only thing was that neither Fletcher and I knew what the fuck was happening. Whenever we asked, Enzo would always deflect it.

"Nothing," his response was curt and devoid of any emotion. Deciding to turn on the lights so he could see better, I flipped the switch and gasped. The lights were off because I enjoyed watching movies in the dark.

"What the fuck?" That came from Fletcher, whose crumbs were all over my bed as he lowered his plate to the side. I was too shocked to even say anything. There were bruises and cuts on his body and face. "Are you okay?"

"No, he's swell." I retorted. Enzo's face broke out in a smile and he chuckled. Fletcher, on the other hand, remained unamused at my attempt to make a joke.

"What a shitty pun," he put on my shirt, wincing when he raised his arms. "Not my fault my face looks like it got stung by a bee."

"Let me see if I can find any rubbing alcohol. We need to disinfect that." I leave my room in pursuit of a first aid kit. It was times like these where I was thankful I had no siblings. My hypothetical siblings would've definitely heard the commotion in my room and snitch. Shaking the thought away, I find the box in the laundry room and rush back to my room.

"—my mom unconscious," his voice wobbled, and I could tell he was trying to hold his tears in. I pause, unsure whether I should barge in while he was talking. "There were three guys who chased after me, one of them beat the shit out of me as you can see. My mom has Seb, I saw them sneak out of the house when I ran out of the door. Fuck, I don't know what to do."

"No one would in your situation," Fletcher replied. "Just take the time right now to come up with a plan."

"I feel sorry for lying to Seth... I know he was looking forward to this." Enzo buried his face in his hands. He looked defeated. "It's hard to bring up these kinds of things with him."

It was then I walked inside. They didn't seem startled or anything—like they knew I was listening in on their conversation.

"No one wants to talk about their bad experiences," Fletcher consoled him, glancing at my face as if he were trying to gauge my reaction.

I knew when it came to serious topics, I was the type of person who would brush it off with a joke. It was the reason I was never the first person to know about anything major happening in their lives. I was aware of it and even tried to change that about myself, but I couldn't bear the weight of it. It only served to remind me of my own problems, and the only thing I could do was run away.