4: Mila- Hercules

drunk minds speak sober thoughts

****

AS I WAS plodding home from the restaurant, it suddenly rained buckets. It reminded me of the time I went to Florida and our plans to go to the beach were canceled.

I can't believe that was so long ago, I was nostalgic, basking in the memory of when everyone was together and happy.

Ellie said it was going to be a sunny day. I pursed my lips at the memory. But then again, I shouldn't have solely believed her. I didn't even bring an umbrella.

I ran the short distance to my loft. Thankfully, it was only a few minutes away. I looked down at my clothes and saw that I was completely drenched. I took a shower, knowing I hadn't taken one in the morning. It became a habit to take a shower after classes since that was the only way I could feel refreshed after a tiring day like today.

As I was drying my hair, I heard the doorbell ring. I opened the door to see two very cute guys. Although just in case my bat was right next to the flowerpot in the corner.

"Hi, you must be Mila. I'm Mike and this is Fletcher." Said the guy holding something that looked like a board. You would definitely call him the "All-American Boy". Blond hair and blue eyes, only having a tattoo curl up the side of his arm — it seemed like a snake with intricate scales. The guy next to him was dressed more casually, and I saw the glint of his piercing on his ear. I glanced at the boys and wondered what they wanted, slowly starting to freak out.

"Mike! You're freaking her out!" Hissed the other guy who was known as Fletcher. "Sorry, he forgot to mention that we're Renzo's friends."

Well, that explains the familiarity. Somewhat. They were the ones in the parking lot this morning, right?

"Oh, so what do you guys want?" I asked politely, still having a loose grip on my baseball bat.

"We just wanted to give you this painting Enzo did," Mike said. "He didn't want to give it to you, so we stole it from him."

Fletcher handed me the canvas. It was in a large plastic bag, so I couldn't see what the painting was.

"Yeah, so that's why we came over." Fletcher grinned. The two of them looked like they pulled off a grand heist with the way they were snickering under their breath. "We should get going. Oh, and nice place."

I closed the door and carried the painting to my living room. I gingerly took out the painting and gasped. The painting was an abstract of two people holding each other in their arms. I was mesmerized by the strokes and shapes depicted. I flipped the painting and noticed the title, 'My Inspiration', I also noticed Renzo's signature. I ran my fingers across the canvas, liking the way it felt.

I heard another person ring the doorbell. I was surprised when I saw Renzo at the door. How does he know where I live?

"Hey," he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Did Mike and Fletcher come by and give you a painting?"

I was too distracted by everyone knowing where I lived to reply. Renzo coughed to get my attention. "So? Do you have my painting or not?"

"Yeah, I do," I muttered angrily. "Also, how did you know where I live?"

I led him to the living room where the painting was.

Renzo went to the table and picked it up.

"I'm so going to kill the guys." He said under his breath. Then he faced me, "Everyone knows where you live Mila, you're the richest girl on campus. You kind of voiced that question out loud, just so you know."

"That was meant to be heard," I snapped at him. I was still angry from our previous encounter.

Just then we heard thunder and saw lighting flash past the beige curtains — which took me forever to choose. I turned on the TV and scrolled to the weather channel.

"Don't go out in these thunderstorms. As of now, we're going into a tornado watch. Stay inside and we'll have updates as time goes by." Instructed the weatherman.

I heard Renzo curse and put down the painting on the table with a loud crash. I turned to him.

"That table costs a thousand dollars. Watch it." I seethed.

Renzo smirked and walked over to where I was. Standing right in front of my face, he leaned over and breathed in my ear. "Looks like it's just us two." Well, thanks for ignoring me, asshole.

I stepped back and went to the kitchen to grab a bottle of vodka. Needing to feel loose because of today's events.

"I need a drink." I groaned. Tipping my head back, I gulped down half the bottle. I winced as my throat burned. I was sure going to have a massive hangover tomorrow morning. I shouldn't have gotten drunk, god I even have classes tomorrow morning.

Renzo stared at me, then took the bottle out of my hand. "C'mon let's go to your room, I'll put you in bed and I'll place aspirin and water for you for tomorrow."

"I can't believe Daniel and I broke off the engagement!" I giggled, taking another swig. "Mom's- no, sorry—Amelia's— going to be so pissed."

Renzo had a shocked look on his face but quickly became passive again. He lifted me up and carried me bridal style and got aspirin and water.

"You're such a lightweight drinker." He mumbled under his breath.

"I want to kiss you," I blurted, my mind slowly becoming fuzzy. "But I can't do that to Renzo. You see, he is someone I've liked for a while and it would be unfair to him if I did that. You know, you look just like him. I'm going to call you Hercules." I tapped his nose, giggling at the shape. "And I'm not a lightweight. I just get drunk easily when I'm stressed."

"Let's get you in bed before you get yourself any more wasted." Renzo shook his head with a faint smile on his lips and kept on walking.

Before we got into my room I stopped him again, pouting. "I'm not a lightweight drinker."

"Okay," he laughed as if he would never believe that.

"No, seriously, Hercules," It felt like I had an annoyed expression on my face. "Don't think of me as an easy girl because I got drunk easily today. You just happened to see this side of me today, but that doesn't mean you can make the assumption that I'm lightweight."

"Okay," he said again. "It's okay for you to feel down sometimes and wanting to find an outlet through alcohol, but just know that there are other ways to cope with whatever it is that you're going through."

We then reached my room and he tucked me in.

He was just about to leave when I grabbed his arm.

"Hercules, can you stay with me? I'm afraid of thunderstorms." I said quietly, slowly drifting off to sleep.

Renzo sighed but got in next to me. "You're so hot and cold sometimes."

He wrapped his arms around my waist and put his head on the other pillow I had laying. "That's because I'm drunk and won't remember this happened tomorrow morning."

Silence then consumed us in my dark bedroom. I turned over to face him.

"Hercules?" I asked.

"Yeah?" He replied.

"The painting is beautiful. Whoever it's for, she's very lucky." I smile up at him.

Just as I was drifting off, I heard the faint words, a slight whisper rumbling his chest. "You're the lucky one."

I dug my face into his chest deeper, blushing profusely.