Chapter 20: Pendants and Pompeii

THREE DAYS LATER...

CARRIE'S P.O.V.

Three days. Three days of sitting in a bed recovering from burns and smoke inhalation. Three days of wondering when I'd be able to go home, to see my sister again, to collapse in Jordan's arms, to listen to Mark's wacky antics.

That day had finally arrived. I was going home, hopefully for good this time.

I stood in the elevator as we ascended up the apartment floors. Robin and Patrick were standing behind me while Emma held my hand. She had the Jerry blanket wrapped around her little body and was still wearing Jordan's beanie.

"Nice hat," I said playfully, glancing down at Emma.

She giggled. "It's Mr. Jordan's! I promised him I'd take extra special care of it!"

"Well, I'm sure he would've given it to you if he knew you would," I said with a smile.

"Ms. Carrie?" she asked me, gazing up with her light brown eyes. "Are you and Mr. Jordan gonna get married?"

"Emma!" Patrick gasped with a slight chuckle. Robin covered her mouth in an attempt to hide her giggles.

I felt my face burn red. "No, no it's alright Patrick. It's just a question."

To be perfectly honest, I had not given much thought to the future. Ever since Robin announced for Jordan and I to become godparents to Emma, the thought of the future terrified me.

I had only been Jordan's official girlfriend for less than a week; it was much too early to be thinking about the future, but at the same time I kept wondering how exactly our lives would be. Would we stay in Santa Barbara? Would we be good godparents to Emma? Would I finally have my dream photography job?

I looked down into Emma's curious eyes and smiled. "Can I be honest with you, Em?"

"Yeah!" she replied perkily, jumping up and down. "Honesty is good! That's what Mommy says!"

"And your mommy is right," I said with a smile at Robin. "But to answer your question; I don't really know. Marriage is a complicated process. As much as I love Jordan, I don't see us getting married until much later."

"Oh," said Emma, a slight sound of disappointment in her voice. "Well, I think I understand."

I sighed at Emma's look of disappointment. "Don't be sad, Em. Just because Jordan and I aren't getting married now doesn't mean we never will. Does that make sense?"

Emma smiled big and nodded quickly. "Yeah! It means someday you will marry Jordan! And then everything will be okay!"

Robin sighed. "Oh, Emma."  I could only laugh.

Eventually, we came to my floor. We walked down the hallway and stopped at my door marked with the number 268. It was then that I realized this was the first time I had actually seen my apartment number since the night I fled Santa Barbara. Patrick handed me my key and I smiled.

"Thank you both for bringing me home," I said to Robin and Patrick.

"It was no trouble," said Robin. "Just call if you need anything, okay?"

I smiled and nodded and unlocked the door. "God, I'm just glad I might finally be able to sleep in my own---"

"SURPRISE!"

A total of at least eight different voices screaming that word made me jump out of my skin. My hand flew to my chest in hopes of steadying my rapid fast heartbeat. My other hand flew to my mouth as my surprised eyes adjusted their focus on the room I now stood in.