Chapter 10: Love Doctor

JORDAN'S P.O.V.

Every faint beep of the heart monitor was enough to bring a tear to my eye. Her many curls were beginning to deflate. Her skin was a ghostly pale white and her eyes were shut, keeping me from gazing into her beautiful icy blue eyes.

Carrie had been unconscious since the moment the paramedics had loaded her into the ambulance. There was no telling what she had and had not heard me say to her.

I told her she couldn't die.

I begged them to let me go with her.

I told her I loved her.

I buried my face in the fabric of her bed sheets and began to sob. I knew she hadn't heard me say that. I had no idea when she would ever have the opportunity to hear it again. I had no idea when I would have the opportunity to say it again.

"He's been with her since he arrived," said the voice of a doctor out in the hallway. "Perhaps you two could try talking to him."

You two? I thought to myself. That meant Mark and Ruby had arrived. I had pretty much abandoned them outside the apartments after the paramedics left with Carrie. I couldn't just sit by. The pain was unbearable.

And after I had been so close to kissing her...

"Jordan!" exclaimed Mark's voice as the sound of his footsteps entered the room. "Jesus Christ, don't ever go off on us like that again!"

"Carrie!" I heard Ruby cry. Her footsteps ran into the room and she collapsed on the other side of Carrie's bed. "Oh dear God, no!"

I looked up at Ruby through my fingers. Her eyes were nothing but red, teary, bloodshot holes in her skull. Her mascara trickled from her eyes like black rain and her entire body was shaking with her sobs. Mark was sitting on his knees beside her, his arm wrapped around her back hugging her to his chest.

The television in the corner of the room was tuned in to the local news channel. A woman was on-scene at the park, which was now blocked off with cop cars and yellow police tape. The picture changed to an amateur cellphone video that was captured by someone at the festival. Blurs of people were running past the camera, screaming and yelling for help and calling out the names of their loved ones.

Mark and Ruby had turned their attention to the television now. Ruby let out a soft gasp and pointed to the screen.

The person taking the video had managed to get all four of us in the shot. He captured Carrie being shot and falling to the ground, swallowed up by the crowd. He captured me running to her and picking her up off the ground, cradling her in my arms like a lost child.

I jumped up and immediately shut off the TV. Being there was bad enough, but re-watching it from another perspective made me sick to my stomach.

My phone began vibrating with dozens of Twitter notifications from fans and friends. Most of the fan messages were YouTube links to the amateur video, others were about how #sparklezisahero and #reallifesuperman were now trending topics on the Twitter homepage. I saw worried messages from Adam Montoya and Nick Fenton, asking for details about the shooting.

"Did you know that girl dude?" said Nick's message.

"Is that girl gonna be alright J?" said Adam's message.

I ignored the messages and just shut off my phone.

"Jordan," said Mark, still trying to comfort Ruby, "don't worry. Everything is going to be okay."

"You don't know that," I said, bowing my head and feeling more tears flood my eyes. "You don't know that everything will be okay."

"I'm just trying to make you feel better," he said.