Chapter 17: Cheatsy-Doodles and Jerry Blankets

I stood staring in Jordan's bathroom mirror at my endless smile and my glowing pink cheeks. I couldn't get over how happy I was. Emma had finally gotten to meet her internet idol, Mark and Ruby were closer than ever before, I had become friends with a kind doctor, and Jordan and I were an official couple. What more could I ask for?

My smile suddenly faded, my mind wandering off into a place where Jordan would tell his fans about us. Even if he didn't tell, paparazzi and crazed fans were all over the place, and someone was bound to notice us. I was surprised we hadn't been spotted together already.

What if they hated me? What if the fans thought I was no good for Jordan? What if they started hating him for loving me? He'd lose thousands of subscribers!

I swallowed, my anxiety getting the best of me. I couldn't let it take over again. When my anxiety hit, I fled from my problems.

I couldn't run away again.

My phone rang to life on the counter next to my bandaged hand, blaring the chorus to the song "How To Save A Life" by The Fray. It was Robin.

"Hello?" I said. "Robin? Why are you calling? You could just knock or text if I was taking too long." I laughed.

"No, I'm not at the house," she said. "Something came up at the hospital and they need me right away so I had to leave."

"Oh!" I said surprisingly. "Well, alright then. Thanks for the heads up."

"Wait!" she said quickly. "Listen, I don't have time to take Emma home and I don't know when I'll be back to get her. I need you and Jordan to watch her for me."

I was taken aback. Me and Jordan? Babysit?

"Well...umm," I said hesitantly, "why can't Patrick pick her up?"

"He's already at the hospital," she replied, "and he can't leave. Please, Carrie! Hopefully it will only be a few hours!"

I tuned her out for a moment and quietly stepped out of the bathroom into the hallway. I crept down the hall to the living room.

Jordan was sitting on the couch, his lower body covered with a Jerry the Slime throw blanket. He was breathing softly with his eyes closed. Curled up next to his arm was the little sleeping form of Emma, her feet slightly poking out from underneath the blanket.

"Aww," I whispered sweetly.

"What?" Robin asked. "What is it? What's going on?"

I quickly pulled up my camera app and snapped a photo of the two sleepy souls. I immediately sent it to Robin's number.

"I think Emma has made herself quite comfortable already," I said with a grin in my voice.

"What makes you say---" She stopped talking suddenly, so I assumed she saw her message inbox. A few seconds went by before she spoke again.

"Aaaaww!" she exclaimed happily. "My God, that is adorable!"

"Isn't it!" I said. "Don't worry, we'll take good care of Emma."

"Thank you, Carrie!" she said gratefully. "I'll see you all, hopefully, later! Tell Emma I love her!" And then she hung up.

I slipped the phone back into my pocket and gave Jordan a little poke in the cheek. He slowly opened his eyes, blinked rapidly for a moment, then looked up at me and smiled.

"Hey," he said groggily.

"Shh," I said softly, pointing at the sleeping Emma.

Jordan grinned and brushed a strand of her long brown hair out of her face. Her cheek was slightly smushed against Jordan's arm. Jordan carefully removed his arm and placed a pillow under Emma's head. He pulled the Jerry blanket off his body and wrapped it gently around Emma. Emma smiled dreamily in her sleep, snuggling up more with the pillow.