Chapter Twenty-Four

Teru moaned as she stretched, squinting her eyes open at the bright lights. She tried and tried, but was only barely able to remember why her head throbbed and her jaw and fists ached. Once she did, though, she lie back down on her pillows, curling up in an attempt to try and forget that fatal mistake.

How could she have done such a thing? She knew better... She knew better than to have punched her father... She'd threatened her sister, her brothers, her family, her job...

Dear god, she'd jeopardised Akira...

She heard a voice from beside her, and tears welled in her eyes. "Teru..." his voice hitched as he spoke, letting her know he'd been crying. Her hand raised to cover her mouth as her throat swelled. "Teru, please, I'm..."

A sob broke loose from her as she flipped around, almost falling off the bed from her dizzy pain. "No. No, don't you say that word, Akira! Don't you say that word!" Tears fell, and she couldn't stop them. Her voice fell to a whisper. "Don't you say that word... Because I still haven't said it to you..." She closed her eyes, swallowing.

"Teru... look at me." She continued looking down with her eyes closed. "Teru, look." He reached out and grabbed her hands, linking their fingers, and she couldn't fight him anymore. So she opened her eyes slowly, looking up at him without moving her head. "Teru, it's alright. You're going to be alright..." Akira smiled at her; it was the only thing he could do.

She bawled, and he crawled onto the bed with her. She couldn't make it alone, and he didn't want to leave. How could he make it, when he had changed so much and lost so many friends? How could she make it, with only the man who had adopted her, a sister who hated her, and two brothers and a mother who couldn't remember her at all? 

As she started to fall asleep, now clinging to her chest and resting her head on his heart, she spoke once last time. "Akira, I want t-to go h-home."

His own tears fell as he answered. "Teru, you can make it home."

"No... I want to go to America... That's my home... You're..."

His tears now mixed with happiness. "You're my home, too.

"I love you... and always will."