Chapter 10

To say that peace came to Narnia after the White Witch's defeat would be a lie. With the prophecy fulfilled and the Sons of Adam, and Daughter's of Eve on the throne, left room for challenge from those not brave enough to chance the Witch. It was in these challenges that the Kings and Queens would prove their true worth as leaders.

Peter lead the charge, with Aras by his side in the thick of battle. Edmund lead the calvery, brave and without doubt of it's strength. Susan lead the Archers, every arrow aimed true. And sweet Lucy lead the healers, nurturing the brave wounded back to health. 

-----------------------------------------

After almost four years of war, Narnia was finally at peace. The kingdom flourished and thrived under the Pevensies' rule and years of properity lied ahead.

It was a rare, uneventful day in Cair Paravel, something many were relishing in. No declarations of war, no attacks, just calm. The Kings and Queens were sitting down to a quite breakfast before the day's duties began. The three younger siblings were happily chattering about many things, but Peter had yet to say a word. The High King slouched in the chair mindlessly pushing his food around on his plate with a fork.

"Peter, what's the matter?" Susan asked, noticing his abnormal silence.

"Hm? Oh nothing, just a bit tired is all." Peter mumbled.

Edmund scoffed, "Yeah up late dreaming about a certain someone more like."

Edmund snickered when Peter threw him a harsh glare. "What, it's not my fault you're madly in love with Aras." 

The girl in question was currently at the northern borders of Narnia that joined Harfang, home of the Giants, well the civilised ones. Patrols reported attacks from a handful of giants, Aras volunteered to journey to Harfang to meet with the King and Queen on Narnia's behalf to further investigate these attacks because of her past friendship with Harfang.

"I am not!" Peter protested.

"Oh come on, Pete, everyone can see how you look at her." Lucy teased.

"I'm fairly certain all of Narnia knows, except maybe Aras herself." Susan added. 

"I-I, even if I did have feelings for her - which I don't - she'd never feel the same. So drop it!" Peter harshly pushed his chair back fromthe table, making an awful scraping sound, and stormed from the dining hall.

His siblings stared after him, feeling guilt for teasing him so.

"Yep, he's definitely in love with her." Edmund agreed.  

"The only question is does she feel the same?" Susan added.

--------------------------------------------------

Peter successfully avoided his siblings for the majority of the rest of the day. However, getting Aras off his mind was proving to be more and more difficult. It was amusing how he had no trouble charging into battle without a doubt in his courage, but Aslan forbid, he tried to confess his feelings for Aras... well, that was the most pitiful display if ever there was.

It was late evening when Aras finally returned from Harfang, and the news she brought with her was far from good. The Giants attacking the outlying villages of Narnia were deserters of Harfang, suspected to have been supporters of the White Witch during her reign. 

"We should assemble the army and ride out immediately." Peter declared. 

The council were seated around the table overlooking a map of the northern border. The council consisted of the Kings and Queens, Aras, Oreius, and Mr Tumnus.

"We do not need the army, not for only a small number. And Harfang has agreed to send soldiers of their own as aid to us," Aras explained. She pointed to an area of the map where the rogue Giants were last sighted. "There are a number of mountain caves in the ranges near these villages, if we take a small squadron through the mountains we can drive them towards Harfang and have their soldiers cut them off. We cut off their escape, then it's a matter of their surrender or defeat."

The council nodded in agreement.

"What will happen if the Giants choose to surrender?" Susan asked, her hands folded neatly in front of her.

"I spoke with the King and Queen, they feel responsible for these deserters and have requested that the Giants who surrender face Harfang's justice." Aras elaborated, leaning back in her chair.

"Although I'd rather we serve justice against the Giants, I respect the King and Queen's request and agree that we should allow Harfang to deal with the rogues." Edmund concurred.

Peter looked amongst the members of the council, none showing signs of objections against Edmund's statement. "Then it is decided, Aras and I will lead a squadron against the rogue Giants, those who surrender will be turned over to Harfang, those that don't will die in battle. We leave in the morning." Peter announced, directing the last part to Aras and Oreius.

"I shall prepare the squadron." Oreius bowed to Peter before striding from the chambers, his hooves leaving the only echoing sound.

The Pevensies, with the exception of Peter, and Mr Tumnus excused themselves from the council and dispersed from the room leaving the High King and Guardian alone. 

Peter sighed and leaned his fists on the table. "Why can't we just have peace?"

"We do have peace, you and your family have fought with great valour to achieve that. This, this is but a handful of loyalist to evil, an evil that is almost gone. And one day soon, it will be, I promise you that." Aras placed her hand on Peter's shoulder, his muscles tense with anxiety.

"How is it you always know what to say? The wisdom you have is brilliant and awe inspiring." Peter marvelled, turning to face Aras.

The Guardian shrugged. "I'm well over a couple thousand years old, I expect I would have some decent wisdom to give."

The two shared a quiet laugh that slowly died out as they found each other lost in seas of sky blue and emerald green. Peter always loved her eyes, though he'd never admit it aloud, they reminded him of the fresh leaves of the oak trees that grew tall and strong in the forests. But they way the glowed when they held her determination and fierceness, along with the mane that was her golden hair reminded him of a lioness; brave and strong. 

"I should help Oreius oversee preparations for the morning," Aras whispered, her breath dancing across Peter's lips. It was then they realised how close the distance between them had come in those few moments.

Peter drew back, his cheeks dusted in red and cleared his throat. "Uh, yes, of course. I'll um, see you later I suppose?"

Aras nodded meekly and bowed before disappearing from the council chambers, hoping that her reddened cheeks had gone unnoticed by the King. Unfortunately, they hadn't. But this gave Peter hope that she might feel the same, that his feelings were more than just a dream. As he watched where she'd gone, he could not ignore the feeling in his stomach. It was not the normal nervous and anxious fluttering and shaking, but a sickening and tightening that something bad might happen to her. But it couldn't surely? In all the battles he'd seen, not once had Aras ever been severely injured, never anything more than a scratch or a bruise. So what reason should he have to doubt? Peter did his best to push his feelings aside, Aras would be fine, he assured himself, and he would be there to protect her if it was needed. He could only pray to Aslan that his uneasiness would not be an omen of the battle that lay ahead.