Chapter 1

Aras pulled Arlo to a steady halt in front of the lamp post. Her lips quirked in a crooked grin as she remembered how the lamp came to be.

"So where are they?" Arlo huffed, his heavy breaths produced clouds of smoke in front of his snout.

Aras shook her head, "You really are the most impatient horse I've ever met."

Arlo snorted in response as Aras fluently swung off his back. Both of their ears pricked at the sound of squeals and laughter. They pushed through the thick snow and trees to a small clearing no bigger than a tent where four children pelted each other with snowballs. Well three did, the fourth stood to the side with a scowl on his pale face.

"These are them?" Arlo asked, disbelief clear in his gruff voice.

Aras nodded slowly, her keen eyes watching the four children.

"They don't look like much."

Aras whacked the horse lightly on the shoulder and threw a harsh glare his way. "If you are done, you can return to the Howe and inform Aslan that I've found them and am bringing them to him as soon as possible." A challenging brow accompanied her request, a sign that an argument was pointless.

The horse huffed and nodded his head, making sure to nudge Aras' shoulder before he turned and trotted back through the trees. After watching Arlo leave, she turned her attention back to the four children.

"I'd like you all to meet Mr. Tumnus!" The youngest of the four stated with excitement.

Clearly she'd been to Narnia before and she must be who Aslan spoke of. The tallest and oldest boy spoke next.

"Well, Mr. Tumnus it is!"

He disappeared into a clump of branches as the oldest girl protested the idea based on their rather strange - in Aras' opinion - attire.

"But we can't go hiking in the snow dressed like this."

"No..." The boy returned from the branches carrying four woolen coats, "but I'm sure the Professor wouldn't mind us using these." 

As the boy continued to talk as he handed out the coats, Aras took the time to look at each individually. The oldest, had light brown, almost blonde hair, and clear, blue eyes his face held the defining of a man but still held a boyish softness. The second oldest, was the taller of the two girls; her hair was a dark brown that fell straight down just passed her shoulders, and the same blue eyes as he elder brother. The next was the younger boy with far darker hair, pale face, deep, brown eyes, and permanent scowl. 'Clearly the trouble maker of the four.' Aras mused. Finally, Aras turned to the youngest of the four. She had short hair the same shade of brown as her sister, a soft, round face, and hazel eyes full of joy and wonder.   

The four children, now dressed in their coats, walked into the forest, not before they were stopped by a figure who emerged from the trees. Peter, being the oldest and most protective stepped in front of his siblings as the figure came into view. The first thing they all noticed was that she was a girl, who by the look of her was no older that 15 maybe 16, but her leaf green eyes held wisdom beyond her years. The next thing they took note of was her mane-like blonde hair that fell freely in frizzes and curls to her elbows. The final thing they noticed, was her attire, which made them all visibly stiffen. She was dressed in amour, chain-mail and leather, with an assortment of weapons strapped to her. On her back, she carried a bow and quiver full of arrows, and two oddly shaped swords were strapped to her hips as well as a few strategically placed daggers.

When the girl stepped forward, the Pevensies all took a small step back. Their actions caused the girl to raise her hands in a low surrender.

"Easy," her voice was soft and sincere, "my intentions are not to harm you. I can assure you that."

Each of the Pevensies had a skeptical look. "That's a rather bold thing to say for someone who's carrying all that." Peter said and he gestured to her many weapons.

The girl breathed a laugh and looked down at her attire, the corner of her lip pulled up. "Necessities of the position, I'm afraid."

"What position?" Edmund inquire, his brows pulled together.

"Forgive me, I should introduce myself." the girl began. She straightened her back and dropped her hands. "My name is Aras, the Guardian of Narnia." Aras finished with a slight bow of her head.

The Pevensies exchanged a glance and looked back to the girl, now named as Aras. "Guardian?" Lucy wondered.

Aras nodded to the young girl, "'Tis my duty to protect Narnia and all it's people, including the Kings and Queens."   

The four nodded but did not inquire further, she seemed trustworthy enough.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you Aras, my name's Lucy." The youngest beamed, she trotted up to Aras and held out her hand to shake.

Aras gave her a bewildered look, but none the less took her hand and shook it lightly. Her attention then turned to the other three as they introduced themselves.

"I'm Peter."

"Susan, a pleasure."

"Edmund." 

Aras gave them a kind smile, "It's a pleasure and honour to meet you all. May I ask where you are headed?"

"We're going to visit Mr Tumnus, do you know him?" Lucy asked, a hopeful smiled was stretching her cheeks.

"Yes, he is a dear friend." Aras replied.

Lucy's smile grew wider if possible, "Would you like to join us?"

Even if she wanted to, Aras couldn't say no to the pleading and hopeful look Lucy's face held. "I'd love to."

Aras and the Pevensies walked through the snow and trees, an awe struck look on their faces as they took in the magical world around them. As they passed them lamp post, Aras couldn't help but laugh, the tale of how it came to be still amused her after all this time.

"What are you laughing at?" Peter asked, his eyes swapped from the lamppost to her.

"I remember when that lamppost first grew."

"Grew?" Susan asked, perplexed.

"Aye, a long story, something to do with a man with wild hair mistaken for a tree and planted upside down." Aras mused, her brows coming together as she recalled the memory. "He carried a piece of a lamppost with him and it grew." 

They smiled as they thought of what this man might have looked like, buried with his hair in the ground. As they continued their trudge through the snow, they came upon a small hill which Peter ran and slid down which made his sisters and Aras laugh. On occasion, Aras would cast her eyes to Edmund who seemed more focused on the scenery rather than his brother's antics. Right now, Aras was supposed to be bringing them to the Howe, to Aslan, but she had't even mention the prophecy let alone explained all that was going on to them. So a detour pass Mr Tumnus' wouldn't hurt? Perhaps he could help Aras convince them of the prophecy. Or at least that's what she thought.

Pic is Arlo.