Chapter 5

Aras, the Pevensies, and the Beavers walked through Aslan's camp, the children looked around with curious and strange looks on their faces, ones that were mirrored by the Narnians as they walked by.

"Why are they all staring at us?" Susan wondered.

"Maybe they think you look funny." Lucy giggled.

Peter and Aras smiled at the youngest Pevensie and walked towards a large red tent. In front of the tent stood a centaur, Oreius. Together they lined up in front of him and Peter raised his sword high.

"We have come to see Aslan." Peter stated, though his voice betrayed his nervousness.

Oreius looked at the tent and the Narnia's who had gathered behind them knelt and the others followed suit. They looked to the opening of the tent as a proud and majestic lion strode out, the winds dance through his long mane as he came to stand in front of the newcomers and Aras.

"Welcome Peter, Son of Adam. Welcome Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve. Welcome Beavers, you have my thanks. And welcome home, Aras, the Lion Heart. But, where is the fourth?"

Everyone rose to their feet and awaited the reply.

"That's why we are here. We need your help." Peter answered as he sheathed his sword.

"We had a little trouble along the way." Susan explained.

"Our brother's been captured by the White Witch."

"Captured? How could this happen?" Aslan asked calmly.

"He betrayed them, Your Majesty." Beaver elaborated.

"Then he has betrayed us all!" Oreius snarled.

"Peace, Oreius. I'm sure there's an explanation." 

Peter opened his mouth to explain further but to his surprise Aras beat him to it.

"The fault is mine, Your Grace. I should have been more aware and kept closer watch." Aras' head was hung in shame. She believed she'd failed the task given to her by the one she owes her existence to.

"It is my fault really. I was too hard on him." Peter admitted. His mother made him promise he would take care of his family, Edmund was his responsibility, not Aras' in his eyes.  

"We all were." Susan added, she placed her hand on Peter's shoulder in comfort.

"Sir? He's our brother." Lucy pleaded.

"I know, dear one. But that only makes the betrayal all the worse ... This may be harder than you think." Aslan sighed for a moment before looking across the three children, "But for now, rest. You have travelled a long way." Aslan turned to Oreius, "See to it they are well fed and given a change of clothes."

Oreius nodded respectfully.

"Aras, join me. There are matters to be discussed."

Aras nodded and turned to nod at the Pevensies before following the great lion into his tent.

"You've done well, Aras."

The Guardian snorted in response, "Hardly well enough."

"Edmund's capture was not of your fault or doing."

"It was something I should have stopped." She snapped, folding her arms across her chest.

Aslan sighed at the stubborn Guardian and decided against arguing with her further. "They still doubt their destiny." 

"Everything has happened so fast I doubt they've even had a chance to. But yes, they doubt the prophecy, and themselves."

Aslan looked at the Guardian with a contemplating expression. "Perhaps Edmund's capture may serve as a silver lining."