Chapter 6

Peter ran across the river and drew his sword with Aras hot on his heels. "Get back!"

"Peter!" Lucy yelped from the tree next to Susan.

Peter ran up to Maugrim and held his sword up. Aras stood at the boy's side as the other wolf Vardan circled behind them. Aras turned and placed her back against Peter's and held her swords up defensively to keep the other wolf at bay.

"Come on, we've already been through this. We both know you haven't got it in you." Maugrim taunted.

"Peter, watch out!" Susan cried from above.

By now Aslan and a handful of Narnian soilders, including Oreius arrived. The lion held down the other wolf as Oreius moved to attack. "Stay your weapons. This is Peter's battle."

Aras moved to stand beside Aslan, but close enough to Peter should she need to intervene.

Maugrim squared himself in front of Peter and crouched, prepared to pounce. "You may think you're a king, but you're going to die...like a dog!" The wolf leaped at Peter who ducked.

"Peter... no!" The girls cried.

Aras felt her self want to lurch forward, there was no movement by the wolf or the Son of Adam. Susan and Lucy jumped down from the tree and ran to Peter, together they pushed the limp wolf's body of their brother as everyone waited anxiously. Peter sat up unharmed and looked between Maugrim's body, Aras, Aslan and his sisters who threw their arms around him. Peter hugged them back with tears in his eyes. Aras felt her heart steady and her lungs released the breath she held in.

Aslan released the surviving wolf who bolted with a yelp. "After him. He'll lead you to Edmund."

Oreius and the other soldiers followed the retreating wolf, but Aras remained behind.

"Peter, clean your sword." The Lion ordered calmly.

Peter grabbed his sword and knelt in front of Aslan and bowed his head.

Aslan placed a firm paw on his shoulder, "Rise, Sir Peter Wolf's-Bane, Knight of Narnia."

Peter looked at the lion in amazement then rose to his feet. Aras gave a small smile to the boy when his eyes found hers. Peter returned the smile and sheathed his sword. The Pevensies returned to the camp with Aras and Aslan and awaited Edmund's return nervously. Peter was seated outside his tent staring at his sword in his lap, when he looked up, he noticed Aras walking passed.

"Aras!" He called grabbing the Guardian's attention as he jumped to his feet.

"Yes, Sir Peter?" Aras replied with a soft smile.

Peter blushed lightly and looked down, "You don't have to call me Sir, o-or King or my Lord or anything. You can just call me Peter." the boy stuttered as he rubbed the back of his neck bashfully.

Aras nodded and smiled a little wider and showed her white teeth. "Very well, Peter."

Peter smiled at her and didn't reply for a moment before he shook himself awake. "W-would you ah, like to join me for a walk? Or something? If you aren't busy I mean." 

Aras stiffled a laugh at a stuttering and stumbling Peter, "It would be my pleasure, Peter."

"Great! Ah I-I mean sure." Peter cursed himself under his breath before trotting to Aras' side and fell in -step with her.

The two walked in awkward silence for a few moments as the wandered to the outer skirts of the camp. They would look at each other and open their mouths to speak, but laugh shyly and bow their heads. Eventually, Peter managed to ask a question.

"So, why do they call you Aras, the Lion Heart?"

Aras let her arms swing aimlessly by her sides rather than clasped behind her back like she usually would, with Peter, she felt as though she could relax a little. "I was given that title because of my feats in battle, my first battle that is. It was over a thousand years ago now, but I remember it like it was yesterday. Aslan chose me to lead the charge on the battle field, I was so terrified, not of death but of failing. I feared I would not be able to lead the army to victory. Although we lost many, we were victorious. They say I fought with the bravery and ferocity of a lion. So they named me Aras, the Lion Heart."

Peter smiled down at her, being only an inch or so taller. "You sound incredible. I don't think I could ever be that brave."

"Neither did I, but I knew everyone of those soldiers, all the Narnians, were counting on me, I could not let them down."

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid."

"And I'd call you a fool if you weren't."

Peter gave her a strange look.

"After all, if we are not afraid, how can we be brave?"

A comfortable silence ensued as they continued to stroll about the camp. The sun was slowly setting, its last few rays of orange and purple hue spilled over the land and danced around them. Peter took a moment to admire Aras in this light, the way the fading sun bounced off her face and shaded the sharpness of her cheeks, the way it haloed her mane of golden hair. To him, she looked very much like he though an Angel might. 

After walking Aras back to her tent like a gentleman, they bid each other good night knowing they would probably not see each other until the morning. Peter shuffled tiredly over to his tent which was only a few away from Aras' and next to his sisters'. Just before he could escape into his own tent, Lucy jumped up behind him.

"And where have you been?" The youngest Pevensie smirked as she rocked back and forth on her heels.

"U-h um, nowhere really." Peter tried to play off.

"That's not what we saw." Susan chimed coming up to stand next to Lucy with a cheeky smile.

A heavy blush covered Peter's face and was spreading to his ears and neck. He stuttered an attempt at a reply but utterly failed against the teasing of his sisters.

"Peter's in love with Aras! Peter's in love with Aras! Pet-" Peter's hand was quick to clamp over Lucy's mouth to silence her off key chanting.

"Shh! Lu!" Peter scolded as he looked around to make sure no one, especially Aras heard her.

Lucy mumbled something under his hand before pushing her tongue out and licking Peter's hand. Peter recoiled his hand with a groan and whipped it on his pants. "I am not in love with Aras, alright. We're only friends." 

Susan raised an eyebrow at her brother, "Right, friends? I've heard that before."

Peter opened his mouth to protest more but Lucy and Susan turned on the heels and sauntered back to their tent with knowing smiles. Peter sighed and rolled his eyes before disappearing into his tent mentally debating what the true depth of his feelings for Aras were. His conclusion, it was more than only friends.