Taehyung dropped one of his hands but kept the other around Jungkook as he pulled them out of Jimin's way.

"Sorry," Tae said, sounding like he'd been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

Jimin's eyes moved toward them, looking into Taehyung's eyes. "At least I know you love him. Jungkook likes to paint a pretty picture out of you, but Gran and I talk... and what we've pieced together has left me with some doubts." His eyes grew cold. "Fair warning—If I find out that you've hurt Kookie, I'm going to kick your ass. Got it?"

"Hyung!" Jungkook protested, even though guilt flooded through him for deceiving Jimin. "I'm not a kid anymore, y'know."

Jimin's face softened as he turned his attention to him. "Kookie, you can be ninety and you'd still be my baby brother. I will always kick the ass of any guy who hurts you."

Pulling away from Tae, Jungkook rushed to his brother and practically smothered him.

"Where were you last month?" His voice cracked with emotion.

Jimin pulled back and glared at Taehyung. "What happened last month?" His voice took on an ominous undertone.

Oh, crap. What had possessed him to say that? But he hadn't seen Jimin in years, and he forgot how scary the smaller guy could be. It was nice to have an older brother he could rely on with his problems, but at the moment, Jungkook just needed some way to get out of the hole he just dug himself into. The problem was that Jimin tended to be perceptive.

"Nothing." Jungkook gave him a reassuring bunny smile. "I'm just emotional with Mom and her big wedding plans."

"Did he--?"

"No." He grabbed Tae's hands and leaned into him. "He's great. A project at work had some issues, so it was a terrible month. I don't know what I would've done without him."

Tae kissed Jungkook's head.

Jimin studied them, looking unsure.

"Jungkook!" his mother shouted.

"Crap," Jungkook muttered. "She's up to level three. She raised her voice."

Jimin didn't look like he wanted to drop the subject, but he waved to the stairs behind him. "You better get down there. Her split personality is in full bloom."

"Great." Jungkook started down the stairs, but Tae grabbed him. He turned and searched the other man's face for an explanation. What had happened back there? His conversation with Jimin hadn't made him forget that kiss. It was probably the most intense kiss he'd ever had.

Then it hit him.

He was an idiot. Taehyung only did it to keep Jimin from hearing their conversation.

Jungkook tried to pull away, but Tae only pulled him closer. "Your mother is watching," he whispered.

He forced himself to relax.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Tae continued, "but your brother was going to overhear us. In fact, he looked like he had heard something. I'm sorry for violating you like that. I was desperate."

"I know," Jungkook whispered bac, fighting his disappointment. Had it really meant nothing to Tae? Of course it hadn't. On second thought, he was probably actually straight. As gorgeous as he was, Taehyung had probably kissed plenty of women.

"Jungkook!" his mother said.

Jungkook broke loose and walked into the kitchen, Tae at his heels.

His mother's nose wrinkled in distaste. "Really, Jungkook. This party is for you and Taehyeon—I mean, Taehyung." She shook her head. "I can't believe Jungkook actually mispronounced your name."