53| Chasing Cars

McKayla

"Come on baby girl, you can do it" I cheer as McKenzie struggles to turn over. After about ten minutes of Kris and I cheering she finally does it for us and she seemed pretty excited too.

"She's a super star" Kris says happily.

"She needs a nap" I comment as she starts getting fussy. I put her in hr crib and find Kris in the empty spare. As of right now the third spare room was for guests and was filled with simple necessities for when his parents stay the night. But now it's going to be another room for when Kenzie gets older.

"You ready to get started on the room" he asks.

"Hell yeah" I cheer taking a brush and moving to a wall. I play music from the MP3 player and we get going. In no time the walls are painted a medium green. Once that's dry we take a darker green and a sponge and attack the walls so it looked like the outfield ivy. After painting the numbers from the outfield and letting it dry it was time to move in furniture. We decide on bunk beds for the future and fill the beds with blankets and pillows that are baseball themed. This time I get to add a quote to the wall. I write 'don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game' in black on what would be under the left field bleachers. We painted the dresser white and put red stitches on it so it looked like a baseball. There was a corner with a desk but it was turned into a locker, it looked really cool. The window got turned into the Wrigley marquee and after spending most of the day in there the place started coming together. Most of the room was set aside for toys and whatever keeps her entertained once she gets moved in here.

"Wow... we got a lot done" Kris says surprisingly.

"Yeah, and someone should be waking up soon so I should go get her food ready" I say picking myself up off the ground. I head downstairs and Kris brings her down and placed her in her high chair. I wrap a bib around her knowing she's going to make a mess anyway before she happily slaps her hands on the surface in front of her.

"Oh someone's excited to eat" I say and she lights up.

"Want to order pizza" Kris asks looking through the fridge. I was in no mood to cook and he knew it.

"Yes please" I answer opening the baby food and taking a small spoonful of carrots. Kenzie opens her mouth and I easily slide the food in.

"Don't think I forgot about that night in New York, you were about to tell me what's borthering you but we never got to it" I remind him.

"That was so long ago, can't we just leave it" he sighs.

"Kris, you know everything that had happen will have a part in what's about to happen. There was something that happened that upset you and ignoring it won't make it go away. Everything happens for a reason so I would rather we figure this out now than have it bite us in the ass later. So tell me what happened" I pry. He sits in the chair next to me and crosses his hands on the table. This should be good.

"Anthony and I were walking around NYC trying to find some food. I had already called you five times that day and you were over it so I decided to let you be. I had this feeling we were being followed but couldn't find anyone suspicious. Once we got our food Anthony comments that he saw a couple that was a spitting image of you and I pieced it together. Your parents were following me around trying to get to you. Your mom insisted she wanted to make amends and your dad wanted forgiveness. But I knew better, I know they hadn't changed. Your dad still reeked of beer and your moms voice inflection led me to believe that they just wanted the glory of what you've become. I didn't know what to do so I told them that they needed to get some help before they try approaching you again" he explains.

"What do you think I should do" I ask. I knew what I wanted but I was curious as to what he would do if he was in my position.

"I'm not sure. There's no way to know they've changed. All we know is what they've done and that's some pretty shitty things. If they couldn't be there when you were in the hospital then why should they be there when you get married" he asks.

"I know, but those are my parents" I defend.

"I get that. That's why I feel so dirty saying those things. But it's not just you I have to worry about now, it's McKenzie too. I've protected you for so long it's like second nature to me. The best way to solve a problem is to prevent it, right? So they best way to keep McKenzie and you protected is to not cause a problem in the first place" he shrugs.

"You're right" I say and he slowly turns his head to look at me.

"Excuse me" he asks.

"You did the right thing. I trust your decisions" I reiterate. He grows a smirk and I roll my eyes before going back to feeding McKenzie.

"I'm gonna milk this" he claims.

"Please no" I giggle.

"Hell yeah" he counters. He dances around for a little while I laughed. Usually it's the other way around but we like to mix it up sometime. He ends his dance in my lap and McKenzie thought that was hilarious.

"Love you Big Mac" he says kissing my lips.

"Love you too Breezy" I smile back.

"Love you too little Mac" he says kissing her head. I finish feeding her then change her before putting her in the crib. I walk into our room and find Kris looking thorough my old MP3.

"Do you remember this song" he asks turning the MP3 to me. I grow a smile because I knew where this was heading.

"I do" I say crawling into bed with him. He plays the song and I melt into his arms.

"If I lie here" he sings.

"If I just lie here" I continue.

"Would you lie with me and just forget the world" we sing together.

"Forget what we're told" he says softly, running his fingers through my hair.

"Before we get too old" I whisper back.

"Show me a garden that's bursting into life" he finishes. I look up into his eyes to see he had already been looking at me. I softly run my thumb over his cheek bone as I cup his face. At that moment we didn't say anything simply because we didn't need to. We feel everything that needs to be said and it was good enough for us.