36| Spring Training

McKayla

Sunny and warm Mesa Arizona, now these are the winter temperatures I'm used to, being a Vegas girl and all. The high today was eighty and I was happy to be in something other than sweat pants and a sweat shirt.

After Kris and I unpack our things into the hotel room I meet with Joe at a bar downtown to talk per his request. He said he's had some ideas and wanted me for some reason. I don't question it, he's has quite a exquisite mind and I'm always interested to know what's going through it.

I find him in the back of a bar drinking a fancy drink enjoying the music all by himself.

"Hey Joe" I smile sitting next to him.

"Want a drink" he offers.

"No thank you."

"What... are you pregnant or something?"

"Actually I am. And even when I'm wasn't I still don't drink" I clarify.

"Wait you're pregnant with Kris' kid" he asks a bit shocked.

"As far as I know it's his" I joke.

"Wow... I had no clue you were pregnant" he admits.

"A lot of people don't, don't feel bad" I assure him.

"So I'm sure you didn't call me here to talk about my relationship with Kris. What's on your mind?"

"This season... I want ours to be different than any other season in the MLB, both past and present. You understand baseball and the things that go on beyond it so I wanted to pick your brain."

"Okay, what are you trying to accomplish?"

"I want there to be themes, something materialized that the boys can latch onto. It's easy for everyone to be in the same page if we give them the paper, you know? The main idea would be to embrace the target" he explains.

"I like that. People are gunning for this team and they shouldn't run from it. Embracing the expectations and high standards will be the best way to not only meet them but exceed them. The guys know they have the target going into the season and it shouldn't be too hard to let everyone else know it too" I agree.

"Exactly. Spring training is important but it's still just spring training. It'll be easier to face these obstacles now than later on in the season. To keep things loose I was thinking about having little things to help the boys stay relaxed but productive. You know, something that has more than the meaning told to us, ones that aren't said but felt."

"As a manager you're going to get what you give. If you want productivity that's what you're going to have to put in. But it's only considered productive if you get change as a result. So be unexpected, that's the best way to keep them on their toes. They'll have to listen because if they don't they might miss something important. Find ways to get things done while keeping them interested. I don't think you'll have any problems with that" I laugh.

"Of course not. But I will be asking you for a lot of advice" he warns.

"I will be happy to share my knowledge with you" I smile.

"So... how are things with Kris" he asks taking a sip of his drink.

"Amazing. He actually purposed just recently and we moved into a new house. Everything is coming together nicely" I inform him.

"That's awesome. You kids sure take these big steps like they're nothing" he comments.

"We've already been through so much, these are just details really. Kris and I had these ideas of what our lives together would be like for so long and things are finally falling into place. When we stop trying to force these things and let what we know will work happen, it makes life so much easier" I shrug. Joe smirks at me and I'm afraid I just triggered something in that brain of his. We talk for hours about his game plans for spring training and I get really excited. He has a lot of fun little things sprinkled throughout the next month and a half and I was getting more and more excited. Joe is one of a kind in every aspect of life, working with him is a honor and I'm surprised he wanted to talk to me of all people. Eventually it gets late and Kris is blowing up my phone.

"I should get back to the hotel. Kris hasn't been able to check up on me in four hours and is freaking out" I announce standing up.

"I didn't even realize it got late. Thanks for being great company and helping me figure things out. I appreciate it" he replies giving me a hug.

"Any time. It's a honor working with you" I smile. I head back to the hotel and let myself into the room to find Kris sitting there watching tv. I close the door and his head shoots my direction. Once his eyes find mine a smile finds its way into his face and he gets up to give me a hug.

"I missed you" he claims before kissing the top of my head.

"I was gone for a few hours" I giggle.

"You could be gone for a minute and I would miss you" he admits. He asks what I was talking about with Joe and I gave him a vague description, didn't want to ruin the surprises. I change into one of Kris' shirts and lay on the bed. He joins me shortly after and places his hands on my stomach. I swear it grows every day now after it doing nothing for the first five months.

"What do you thing the gender of the baby is" I ask.

"I'm not sure. I want a boy so he can play baseball and if it's a girl.... she can play baseball" he answers causing me to giggle.

"And what if he or she doesn't want to play baseball" I ask.

"Then we have failed as parents" he answers easily and I let out a gasp.

"I'm just kidding! I swear. But I don't care what the gender is, I'll be happy either way" he says. He plants a kiss on my stomach before cuddling under the blankets. We fall asleep excited for another chapter in this book called life.