1| Cutting It Close

Kris

"You got everything you need" my mom asks for what feels like the millionth time. I check my bag for the essentials and everything seemed to be there.

"Ummm yeah" I assure her.

"Are you sure? Got your cleats, your uniform, your bats" she asks.

"Yes, yes, and yes. I'm set mom, I swear" I beg as I realize how late it is. We go through this every game. But I'm a senior in high school, I have done this a thousand times before and should be good to go by now. Key word there is should.

"Okay, then don't come calling me if you forgot something" she warns and I roll my eyes.

"I know mom, I'll see you after the game. Love you" I say before kissing her cheek and rushing out the door. I jump in the all too familiar black hummer and buckle up before turning to my best friend. She looks at me trying her best to be upset with me but actually looks really cute.

"What" I ask innocently as she stares me down.

"If we're late your dad is going to kill us" she answers firmly.

"Well us sitting here fighting about my punctuality, or lack there of, isn't going to get us there any faster" I remind her. She quickly presses her foot to the gas as we nearly fly to the baseball field.

"Wow, seven minutes. That's a new record" she calls out as I jump out the hummer trying to catch my breath.

"I think I'm going to throw up" I say faking nausea.

"Oh come on... my driving isn't that bad" she defends with a small giggle.

"On the contrary, I'm over here thanking god I'm still alive" I joke and she playfully hits my arm. I look into her beautiful sea green eyes as they stare back at me. What I would do to be able to press my lips to hers right now.

McKayla Ann Jennings; first female baseball player at our school, leader of almost every club and organization here, prettiest girl in school, oh, and my best friend in the whole entire world. Since sixth grade it's been her and I, like two peas in a pod. We met in PE when I was looking for a pitcher who could actually throw a ball to home plate and she was looking for someone to actually hit the balls she threw. From day one we were a perfect fit and I can't help but fall in love with her. I didn't know what that was in middle school but it didn't take too long for me to figure out why I always need to know that she's happy or want to touch her flawless skin. Too bad she has a boyfriend and I can't tell her how I really feel.

"Lets get to the diamond before your dad kills us both" she laughs and I follow her to the field. We arrive right on time and my dad looks at us questionably.

"Cutting it close, aren't we" he asks us as we run into the dugout.

"Sorry Mr. Bryant, it won't happen again" McKayla assures him.

"Come on Kayla, you've been over to my house a million times before. You can call me Mike" he smiles and she nods her head. We get dressed and I was mostly ready... until I realize I forgot my game socks. I let out a groan and Kayla notices my distress.

"What's wrong Breezy" she asks.

"I forgot my socks... and I was just being lectured by my mom about remembering my stuff" I whine.

"Well it's yours lucky day because I packed both pairs of my mine" she says tossing me a pair.

"You're a life saver" I say hugging her. She smelled like flowers, I reluctantly let her go and quickly finish getting ready. I fasten my cap to my head and give her a smile before she returns it.

"Alright Breezy, you ready" she asks.

"Always ready Mac" I respond. And with that we take the field.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

After the game McKayla comes over for a celebratory dinner. She pitched 6 hitless innings before letting a double to start the seventh. She finished the game giving up two hits and no runs in a 4-0 win for our school.

"You looked great out there Kayla" my dad says starting dinner conversation.

"Thanks Mike. Had good command today, felt great on the mound" she smiles and he nods.

"So sweetie, how has school been going" my mom asks.

"Good. It'll be a challenge juggling AP classes with the dual credit ones. Then baseball, track, and all the clubs on top of that. It's going to be a long year but I know I can do it" she states.

"We know you can too. If you ever need anything call us" my mom assures her.

"Of course. Thank you for looking out for me and this amazing meal. It's delightful" she admits.

"Any time Mac" my mom says. McKayla has problems at home. She lives a few doors down but I can still hear her parents fighting sometime. Her dad is a drunk and her mom is just about over it. She never wanted kids but still does more for McKayla than her dad ever did. It was hard but she didn't let that stop her, nothing ever did.

"If you have any problems promise you'll call me" I beg as we walk to the door after dinner was finished.

"Of course. Bye Kris, thanks for everything" she says giving me a hug. With that I watch her disappear into her house as I retreat into mine. Everything inside of me told me to follow her but my parents always warned me about putting my nose in places it doesn't belong.

"How you doing kid" my mom asks.

"I'm pretty tired, actually" I admit. It's been a long day.

"Go wash up and do your homework. Oh, and by the way. Nice touch on the socks" she laughs. I look down and see "MAC" written on the top. Of course.

"I know it's hard to be around her feeling the way you do, but I promise that if it's meant to be it will happen" my mom says. I hate when she reads me like that. I'm already over this conversation...

"I'm going to my room" I announce and quickly retreat down the hall. Was I that see through? Has McKayla figured out how I'm feeling? I hope not. She seems satisfied with Kyle and I'm not about to be the reason she's not happy. I'm a firm believer that life can always be better but I know there's no one else like her, who understands me the way she does, who I know will have my back no matter what. I take a long shower and hit the books before calling it a night. I look out my window and see McKayla in her back yard studying on the roof. That was her safe place and I would give anything to be there with her right now.