14| You're The Brightest Star

Kris

2015 is turning out to be a great year. I had a great spring training, got called up, McKayla is back in my life, and the team is doing pretty good.

McKayla sits in the kitchen making us a lunch and I sit on the counter watching her, just like the good old times.

"Is that a tattoo" I ask as the tank top she was wearing showed off a lot of skin.

"Yup, got it two years ago" she replies moving her shirt to the side to show the whole thing. The words "but without the dark we'd never see the stars" where written in black cursive ink along her rib cage.

"You still love the stars, huh" I ask.

"No matter where I am, whether it be Boston, Vegas, Chicago, anywhere, I know that on a clear night the stars will always be there for me. All that space up there, and somewhere millions of miles away is a ball of fire burning bright enough to remind us every night that theres more to life than what we know. And we're only graced with such a sight because of the darkness that surrounds the star. Without the dark we would never see the light, and although my life is full of darkness my stars are something truly beautiful" she finishes running her thumb across jawline.

"You don't strike me as one to get a tattoo" I mention grabbing her hand and kissing the inside of her wrist before lacing my fingers through hers.

"It wasn't my idea, one of my college friends was out drinking then wanted a piercing and I didn't want her driving intoxicated so I took her. While we were in the parlor when she suggested I get a tattoo but I said I would only if it meant something, something I know will always be here even when I'm not. Then I remembered those nights we spent on my roof looking at the night sky. Just a few feet away from us was turmoil and pain, but none of that mattered when I look to the sky and saw all those stars that represented all the cool things in my life. That one star that shines just a bit brighter and just a bit longer than the others, that's you. So she convinced me to get that saying tattooed on me and I don't regret it" she shrugs.

"You mean a lot to me too, you know I used the bat you gave every game I played in college. I wouldn't even touch another bat" I tell her.

"I know, I watched almost every single one of your games. I'm kind of your biggest fan" she smiles.

"Funny you say that because I'm yours" I reply and she giggles. I hop down from the island and fix myself some of the great food she prepared and join her at the dining room table. I take a single bite and a bunch of memories come flooding back. She's still a great cook.

"Wow this is so much better than dorm food or fast food" I moan shoveling the food into my mouth.

"Slow down there tiger, you still got a game tonight" she laughs.

"Sorry, but the only time I got food close to being this good is when my mom came out to my games" I admit.

"Well I'm happy you enjoy it" she smiles and I nod.

It was weird because she was so different than she was five years ago... yet still exactly the same. I mean now she's confident and sure of things. She understands a lot more and asks more question. But at the same time she still loves helping people and looking at the stars. She can still find the best of every situation and is good at everything she puts her mind to. It's like we picked up right where we left off.

We drive over to the game and I warm up while she goes to her office to organize and write.

"Have you taken her out on a date yet" Anthony asks.

"No, we've both been so busy. My job is to worry about the game and hers is to worry about what happens to us when we're not playing the game. It's kind of a 24/7 thing but we're making it work. I do want to take her on a date soon though" I confirm.

"You should take her to the batting cages, then bring me because if she swings anything like you say I want to see it for myself" he claims.

"We'll have to hang out sometime, that's for sure, but as as far as our first date I'm not sure what to do. We've already been through so much, I'm not sure if there's much I can do to surprise her" I admit.

"I don't think she'll mind much, she seems pretty chill."

"She is, but every time I'm with her I want to give her the world, especially now that I finally have her back in my life."

"I get that, maybe make a picnic. You said she loves the city, eat it at the pier or the park or something. I don't know..."

"Actually that's a great idea. She always jokes how I never learned to cook so I can make something... or have you help me so I don't poison her. Then take her to eat it wherever her little heart desires."

"Sounds like a plan, glad I could be of service to you. Now we should focus on the game before Joe makes a new shirt about it and we're totally out of the loop" he says smacking my chest.

We trot out to the field and take our spots to get the game started. I stand at third and look across the diamond to see Anthony warming up, then I look to second where Addi was, it was his first home game today. He messes with Starlin at short and Dexter watches them from center. Jorge looks up to the sky, probably wondering how far he can crush a ball with the wind blowing out like this. Then I look to the mound, no one was there but I can still see McKayla there. I remember the way her long blonde hair spilled out of her hat, the way she tucked in her jersey so it was baggy but could still see the belt. For some reason some memories I remember better than others, the ones with her are the most vivid.

"Earth to Kris" someone yells and I turn to see David waving his hands in front of my face.

"Hi, I know you're knew here but staring off into space isn't going to help us win a game" he reminds me.

"Right, sorry" I reply and focus in. We beat the pirates 4-0 and it still feels great to be in the major leagues. I've played baseball all my life but there's nothing like playing for someone like the Cubs in a field like Wrigley.

After the game I wait for McKayla as she finishes taking notes and taking with some of the guys. She emerged from her office practically glowing as she comes over and places a kiss on my lips.

"Good game! Nice battle in your second at bat and sweet pick to Addi for that double play in the seventh" she boasts as I lace my fingers through hers.

"Thank Mac, means a lot coming from you" I reply honestly. I wasn't one to accept compliments but after games sometimes it's nice to get credit where credit is due.

"So what do you have planned for April 30th" I ask.

"Nothing, I am on the same schedule as you" she reminds me. I knew that.

"Right, so what do you say I take you out on a date" I ask as a smile appears on her face.

"I would say that sounds really good" she smirks.

"In that case I was thinking a picnic in Millennium park" I suggest.

"That sounds lovely Kris."

"As much as I would love to take credit for this idea, it as Anthony's. And don't worry he promised to help me make the food so no one will get food poisoning, at least not this time."

"Don't feel bad, that was only one time and you took care of me after it."

"Yeah, I should have known the chicken wasn't supposed to look like that" I laugh. I drop her off at home and I return to my apartment. It was still empty looking but I was getting things up. I head to bed and look at the picture on my night stand, it was McKayla and I at prom with our crowns on. She was looking up at me laughing at something I said. She still has on the locket I gave her at Christmas senior year and that makes me feel all good inside. I love that feeling.