6| A Chicago New Year

Kris

It's the last game of the season and McKayla and I are both batting .347. She was pitching today in the last game of the regular season that would secure us the conference title. We were hoping to go undefeated and remain the top seed in our conference for play offs. Naturally we send out our best pitcher out there which was McKayla and I hit lead off. She shuts down the side in the top of the first and I head out to bat.

"Alright Breezy, show us what you got" she smiles and I smile back. Even with our bet she always cheers for me. She was great like that. I step up to the plate and take the first pitch. Second one is a slider down and away and I lay in on it. The ball goes into the left field corner and with my speed I easily make it to third. The next two batters strike out and McKayla steps up to the plate. Usually you don't have your pitcher bat clean up, but Kayla is different. She swings and misses at the first pitch and takes the second one for a ball. But the third one she launches over the videoboard. That's impressive for anyone, let alone a pitcher. I wait for her at home and give her a high five once she hits home plate.

"Nice swing Big Mac" I mention as we return to the dugout.

"Thanks Breezy" she says nudging my side. We end up wining and being crowned conference champs that night. Kayla and I end up tied in batting average and decide we both pay up. She would come on vacation with me and I would be in the schools play. After the game we take pictures and celebrate with the team. I go up to talk to Kayla but see Kyle with his arm securely around her. She looks up to him with lust and I just wish she looked at me like that. He places a kiss on her lips and I feel sick to my stomach. I know I shouldn't feel like this but I can't help it. That should be me. I walk away and find my dad.

"Hey champ, why the long face" he asks and I nudge my head the direction of the happy couple.

"Oh, I see. How about we go home and have ice cream. Momma has the hot fudge ready" he encourages and I smile. He always knew how to cheer me up.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

As senior year passes Kayla and I get closer. She's at my house more and more due to her dads bad habits but I don't mind any, I just wish things were different. Although she can't be my girlfriend she makes a great best friend too. Both of us are on honor roll with 4.0's and find ourselves competing over everything. Grades, batting average, who can fit the most mini hot dogs in our mouth. After we won state we continued to hang out all the time. We would talk about our future and day dream all the time. I paid up my half of the bet and was in Beaty and the Beast with her, I had a lot more fun than I would admit. As for her part of the bet, for New Years my family would be going on a trip to Chicago and McKayla is tagging along.

We arrive in the city and set our stuff in the hotel before hitting the streets. I couldn't wait to explore the new city with my best friend.

"Kyle is okay with you doing this" I wonder as we approach the pier.

"He doesn't exactly know" she whispers and I look at her weird. She's not one to be secretive.

"Really Mac? Why didn't you tell him" I ask. I didn't want my ass beat but it's worth it for her.

"He doesn't like that I'm always with you. I get it, we're a lot closer than most friendship pairs but I would never cheat on him. He doesn't know about my parents or how much you have helped me get through it all. He doesn't understand because I won't let him but that's just the way it has to be. I can't tell him" she shrugs.

"You know he's going to find out eventually" I mention.

"He's not the smartest pea in the pod. It's just easier not to say anything at all. That way I'm not lying to him and his opinion about me won't change."

"If what you've gone through changes his opinion in any way that isn't positive he doesn't deserve you. That's a part of who you are no matter how painful it is. But it proves that you're stronger than originally thought. You're brilliant and powerful and no one can tell you any different" I state.

"Thanks Kris, but not everyone is as understanding as you are. You and your family, you're not like others. You guys see the world differently. But look around, people aren't that accepting. All the things I've done, that doesn't mean shit once people see I'm from a broken family. I'm no longer 'The Great McKayla', I'm daughter of drunken abusive father and hateful selfish mother. You're going to have to trust me on this one" she insists. 

"Okay, I trust you" I say and she smiles. We make our way around the pier eating a churro and laughing at the funny mirrors on the dock. After that we all head to Millennium park to look at the cool stuff there. We take a bunch of pictures with the bean and in the garden. She seemed so... relaxed out here. Just frolicking through the city with me, her hair blowing free throughout the Windy City. We continue to walk around then eventually meet my parents back at the hotel.

"You kids have fun" my dad asks.

"Heck yeah. This place is amazing. I can't believe what all is here to explore" Kayla boasts.

"Well there's one more surprise" my mom says. We head out to a car and drive just outside the city. We pull up to a dark street and I look up at the signs. It's says Clark and Addison. A second later the Wrigley field marquee lights up and the field shines bright. People file in and my parents encourage us to follow along. Everyone gets settled in their field and I take time to look around, this place lives up to the hype. The ivy was all brown but the famous bleachers stood strong. Kayla and I head to the mound and talk about how amazing it was that we were in THE Wrigley field for New Years. People start counting down and I realize what's happening. My parents migrate closer while I awkwardly look at Kayla. People yell one and start cheering as they celebrate ringing in the new year. I look around as everyone kisses their partner and I just stand there awkwardly. That is until I feel a warm pair of soft lips on my cheek. I hear the fireworks go off but not over the ones going off in my chest. I thought my heart would burst out of my skin. I had never felt like that before, and I never wanted it to end. After a few seconds she removes her lips and I stand there stunned. I knew she felt something too, there was no way she didn't.

"Happy New Year Kris" she says softly.

"Happy New Year" I whisper back. We head back to the hotel and I see Kayla making herself comfortable on the couch.

"What do you think you're doing" I ask.

"Sleeping on the couch" she says easily.

"No way, get up here" I say patting the other side of the bed.

"Really" she asks a bit skeptical.

"I'm not letting you sleep on the couch and I know you won't sleep up here while I slept down there so instead of us arguing I figured it would be easier this way" I shrug.

"I don't know" she says slowly. I pick her up and throw her over my shoulder then head to the bed. She lets out a squeal and starts hitting my back before I toss her on the bed and join her.

"You're a jerk" she pouts.

"Yeah. Sure I am" I laugh. She crosses her arms over her chest and I pull her closer to me.

"I'm sowy" I say wrapping my arms around her. She lets out a sigh and I grin because I knew I won this. Eventually she falls asleep in my arms and I follow suit.