9| The Hardest Goodbye

Kris

The only thing better than graduating at the top of my class is sharing that honor with McKayla. We just can't seem to outdo each other in any aspect and have to do everything together. But I don't mind.

After I finally told her I loved her she figured out that she loved me too. Sadly for us the revelation came up a few months before we went our separate ways. I get why she was leaving, it was killing her being here and there wasn't much left for her to accomplish around here anyway. She's done it all. And now it's graduation day and my MVP slash girlfriend slash best friend was sitting besides me on the stage as we wait for our speeches.

"You nervous" I ask.

"Nope, as long as I got you up here I know that if I start saying something stupid you'll save my ass" she laughs. She steps up to the microphone and clears her throat.

"Sup" she starts and everyone laughs.

"A lot of you guys know of me, I mean I was in every club imaginable and made it my mission to be friends with everyone in school, at least I hope many of you consider me your friend. But only one of you really know who I am.

The reason I was in all these clubs and was so involved with school activities was so I wouldn't have to go home. More times than not I find myself hiding outside of it or at my best friends house so I wouldn't have to face the harsh reality. My dad drinks a case of beer a day and my mother is so emotionally unstable that she's not quite sure what's going on anymore. She left me and my father not too long ago and even though my dads still there... he's never actually there. I didn't know what it was like to be loved for the longest time, I had a house but not a home.

Success can be defined so many different ways, but no matter how you say what it means, it's about overcoming obstacles. I tried so hard to hide my family situation, I wouldn't even tell my boyfriend at the time. I was embarrassed and ashamed of my family, but then I realized that my life wasn't like theirs. I had great friends, I was the only girl on a varsity baseball team, I even won a state title with them, I've had all these great things going for me. I finally realized that those bad things don't define me. My accomplishments surpass my dark secrets and it took me four years to realize that.

To this day I don't know where my mom is, my dads so drunk he wouldn't be able to find the school if he wanted to come here. But me hiding that from you guys doesn't make it go away because at the end of the day when I go home that's what I go home to. Through all that hardship was strength, something in me told me to fight back. This year a really nice family took me in and now I'm proud to say I'm going to Boston college to find out who I really am.

It gets better, sometimes all you need is one person to take all the pain away and you can do it all. Now that high school is over the only direction I can move is forward. And now I stand before you to tell you that it really does get better, obstacles are made to over come. Of course that's a lot easier said than done but I had a great guy and a great family to help me out. Now it is my honor to announce my co- partner in crime, Mr. Kris Bryant" she says. I get up and peck her on the lips as we pass each other. I take my spot at the stand and look out. There was a lot of people.

"As my beautiful girlfriend said I'm Kris Bryant. And anyone who knows me knows I've been in love with her since 6th grade and had to wait till senior prom to be able to call her my girlfriend so I'll be saying that a lot.

But first of all I wanted to talk about baseball, because quite frankly that's all I know. I've learned that it's so much more than a game. My dad has been my coach since I was four and he still doesn't take it easy on me. But because of that I know that hard work does more than what other people will ever do for you.

Life is like a plate appearance. The second that you're unfocused there's a good chance everything is going to be thrown off. It's hard to time swings or adjust when something is missing. It's easy to lose track of the ball, or in most people cases, their dreams. There's bad judgment, drugs, alcohol, a million of other things out in this world to get us off track. But if you take your eye off the ball when you see it again it won't look the same, it's path has changed direction and you'll find yourself swinging and missing. Always keep your head up, always keep your eye on the ball, that what my dad always says.

Sometimes you'll swing and miss, but that makes you appreciate the hits you make even more. You're not going to go your whole life batting 1.00, you'll make good contact but be thrown out or hit a line drive straight into the glove of a defender. But you go back to the dugout and make adjustments then come back better and stronger. That's how you get better and better until you watch the ball go over the fence and you can finally say that you did it.

Now that high school is over I'm sure you're wondering what's next. It's going to be something you have to work for, your dreams and aspirations. It won't be easy, but anything worth having isn't. Keep you're head up and keep your eyes on the prize. Thank you" I say and walk back to my seat. I place myself next to McKayla as she smiles brightly.

"Good job baby" she says patting my leg once I sit down.

"Thanks, you did great too" I reply. They finish with speeches and we return to the front of the stage to toss our caps. I've had a lot of good memories but this was one of my favorites.

After graduation my parents and I take McKayla out for ice cream. I would be leaving soon for training camp and I wasn't sure I could say goodbye. I can't leave her when I literally just got her.

"I can go to Boston college. I'll give up baseball and just stick to being a biologist" I try.

"Kris, I can't let you do that. Just because I can't stand to be out here doesn't mean you have to follow me. You will always be my best friend and my first love. Nothing about that will change. But I promise that if you keep your head on straight there's no stoping you. I'm just a small frame of the bigger picture, a picture you have yet to take. Just like you said, you have to keep your head up and eye on the ball. I won't let you have it any other way" she insists and I let out a long sigh.

"I know. I just really don't want to leave you. You're my whole world and it's hurts knowing I only have a few more weeks with you" I admit.

"Well then lets make these last few weeks count eh" she says.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The last few weeks I was in Las Vegas was spent running around with McKayla. We drove around in her jeep and went around the state just messing around. Each and every day I'm reminded why I love her so much. The way her long blonde hair flows in the wind when she sticks her head out the window. The way she's always asking if I'm okay or happy. Those few weeks were the best of my life but now I have to leave.

I stand at the airport with McKayla under my arm. But this time when I let go, it's for good.

"Who knows, maybe fate will have it and we will find each other again" she says softly. Her bright green eyes were now smoky as she hands me my things.

"I can't leave you. There's so much we have yet to do together" I whisper tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. She closes her eyes and leans into my hand, she's not making this easy.

"You have to go Kris. You're going to do great things and I will be with you every step of the way. I'll call and text and if you ever need someone to talk to you know I'm here. But you have to live your life, show the world who the great Kris Bryant is. One day everyone will know your name and you can thank me then. But not until then" she insists. I wrap my arms around her and squeeze her tight. I didn't want to leave but I had to. They call my flight and I let her go. I place a long kiss on her lips before leaving her embrace.

"I love you Breezy" she whispers.

"I love you Kayla."