37| The Return

Kris

Ahh yes, the first day of spring training and McKayla and I head to the field excited as ever. We haven't seen all the guys and new guys since Cubs Con and I was itching to see them again. A lot has changed since then and I couldn't wait to tell everyone the good news. We pull up to Sloan park and find everyone on the field just chatting away.

"Hey guys" I call out and am met with warm smiles.

"Kayla" they all cheer giving her a hug causing me to stop with my mouth wide open.

"Come on Kris, you know we're just messing with you! Come here" David says pulling me to the group of guys. There stood the guys from last year like Javy and Addi and Kyle along with new guys like Jason and Ben. We all talk and introduce ourselves getting to know each other well enough.

"Holy shit Mac, is that a rock on your finger" Anthony says pulling it close to his face.

"It's a promise" she says smirking at me.

"So Big Time finally popped the question" David asks patting my back.

"I did" I smile proudly. The guys tell us congratulations and I get a lot of hugs which I don't mind, these were my boys after all. About a hour passes and still no sign of Joe and we start to worry. Eventually the gate doors open but it's wasn't Joe walking to us. As they got closer it looked like Theo and a guy who looked like Dexter. Actually he looked a lot like Dexter...

"Surprise" he says and I'll be damned if it wasn't Dexter freaking Fowler. He walks over with that famous smile of his as we all clap for him. I can tell you everyone was happy to see him.

"Dex" McKayla asks and he shows his bright teeth. She jumps in his arms and he gives her a good squeeze laughing at her incoherent yelling. She was closest with Darya so having Dexter back makes me feel good both for purposes on and off the field. She has someone who has a kid and is willing to help out close by now.

"Good to see you. How is Kris and the baby" he asks. I forgot Darya was actually the first to find out and we told her she could tell him, he's good with secrets considering he kept his return as the biggest one.

"Baby" everyone else yells before collectively before turning to me.

"Ummmm surprise" I stumble and David tries killing me with his eyes. He punched me in the arm and I hear McKayla giggle as she hid behind Dexter.

"Anything else you want to tell us" he yells.

"Nope, I think that's all" I grunt rubbing my arm. McKayla comes over and kisses my arm where I'm sure there will be a bruise soon enough. But we never had a chance to announce these things at Cubs con so now was the first time we could tell everyone anyway. Not my fault. As the guys disperse to stretch out I go over and talk to Dexter.

"I thought you signed with the Orioles" I ask.

"Nope, not sure how they came to that conclusion but I never signed anything with them. Just a bunch of media shit. I'm not leaving here without a ring" he insists.

"I like the sound of that" I admit.

The first day of spring training was more of team bonding. Joe explains the expectations for this season and how we would amount to them. There's a special feeling around here and he doesn't want us getting lost in all of it. We were here for a job but also to work together for a common goal. He passes out shirts with "Embrace the Target" on them before sending us on our way.

McKayla and I return to our hotel room and she sits at the laptop looking through Pinterest.

"Whatcha doing" I ask.

"Trying to teach myself how to plan a wedding" she laughs. I sit next to her and watch as she searches the internet. I wanted to help her with this so it's how she wants it but not too overwhelming.

"Well it looks like the first thing to do is pick a date" she starts.

"Okay, how about early next year" I shoot.

"That should be good. The baby should be old enough to be able to be out and hopefully we won't be insane by then" she giggles.

"So January for the wedding" I ask.

"January sounds great, I love winter weddings" she smiles.

"Okay next is the parties, do you know who you want your groomsmen to be" she asks.

"Obviously my brother, Anthony and David for sure. Maybe I can see if Bryce can do it" I say and she nods. The great part of us always being together is that our list of people will basically be the same.

"Okay. I think I'll have Darya be my maid of honor because she is my girl. Then probably Monica, Brittany, and Melisa" she suggests.

"If everything is this easy we'll have the wedding planned by tonight" I laugh.

"It always is with you" she admits kissing my cheek. I know this will be hard and stressful but anything is worth it when it comes to her. Always has been.

"I love you so much, you know that right" I ask.

"Of course I do. I can feel it in the way you look at me" she admits. We go back to planning and set the date for January 21st, 2017 and make a list of who to send the save the dates too. It was a indoor wedding because these Vegas kids don't do good with winter in Chicago. We were planning a small wedding of people from Vegas and family mostly. Of course the guys on the team and some college friends but that's about it. After getting the people in the wedding set we decide to call it a night. We cuddle under the blankets and watch Big Bang Theory until I drift off with dreams in my head and my girl and baby in my arms.