One

GO READ THE NEW AND IMPROVED VERSION
One (Edited)

"Honey, are you ready? Please tell me you're ready. We really cannot be late tonight," my mom pleads with me as I throw some mascara on. She can be so spastic at times, I swear.

I check myself in the mirror one last time and glare at the outfit I'm wearing. People normally wouldn't find me in a black fitted dress (or any dress for that matter) that's too short for my liking yet, here I am, wearing one. Luckily, I have managed to convince my mom that ballerina flats are much safer than the hooker heels she wants me to wear. I'm as clumsy as they come and will probably embarrass myself enough without adding a heel to my disability. And yes, it is a disability considering I'm a werewolf and should be naturally graceful. Apparently, that gene skipped me.

"Let's go," I say, grabbing my purse from the counter. My mom comes around the corner in a pretty lavender dress and we walk outside together, getting into her white Honda. Teenagers would probably think I'm crazy for letting my mom come with me to a party, but I don't really have a choice. It's a pack party that everyone has to attend unless you're ill or have an equally better excuse.

In all honestly, I do not want to attend. I would rather have the stomach flu than have to endure this god-forsaken party. Our Alpha is finally coming back after four years of traveling the world and to welcome him the Beta decided it would be such a good freaking idea to throw a pack party. Of course, we all know what the real reason is for this idiotic thing. Alpha Calloway just wants to make sure his mate isn't here so he can start his hunt for her. Unfortunately, that means I get to watch a mob of desperate girls throw themselves at him all night.

I mean, I understand that he's probably the most powerful werewolf in the world and a real life Adonis, but please ladies. You're giving the rest of us a bad reputation. I already have to deal with the fact that I'm the smallest wolf in the pack, so I don't need everybody thinking I'm a bimbo just because I'm a woman.

"Earth to Cassia. I said we're here," my mom repeats in annoyance, bringing me out of my thoughts. I hop out of the car and audibly groan at the oversized house. I absolutely love how beautiful it is but I can't wrap my head around why they need so much space. Only the wolves with titles are allowed to stay in it, excluding the Omega's. All of us common wolves are assigned to a house and can expand it if we please or just leave it like it was given to us. Of course, we have to have money if we want to remodel or expand our houses, but most of us are living off of the money the Alpha gives out every month depending on family size. It's only my mom and I living in a house so we don't get that much money a month, but it's enough to keep us alive. Most Alphas wouldn't do what he does so we're very lucky to have such a compassionate leader, even if he is gone all of the time.

"BOO!" someone shouts, bringing me out of my thoughts for the second time tonight. I swat my hand at my best friend and he smirks.

"What the heck, Smith? Were you trying to give me a heart attack?!"

"Actually, I was trying to get you to cuss, but it seems I have once again failed. I'll get you next time, Cas." He laughs as he brings me into his infamous bear hug. Smith's hugs are literally the best in the world. If I could take his hugs and keep them forever then I would.

"I don't know why you're so obsessed with getting me to say a bad word. It's not going to happen and you know it."

He rolls his eyes then loops his arm through mine. "This way, milady."

As we enter through the massive oak double doors, I instantly feel self conscious and under dressed. Here I am, standing next to my super model best friend in a tux, wearing what seems like a silly dress and flats. All I want to do is blend into the white marble floor and never show my face again. While my blonde hair is elegantly curled, others have their hair piled beautifully atop their heads to match their flamboyant dresses. And to think I was worried about my dress being low cut! If some of these girls so much as slightly bend over we will all be given a free peep show!