Closure

Three Days Later

I had straightened my hair and brushed a little mascara onto my eyelashes. My green dress draped comfortably across my body and ended at my knees. I fidgeted on the couch next to Noah, my hand curled around his.

All of my foster brothers sat in the living room around me, glued to the game on the TV. Jenna was in the kitchen with Momma, her hand on her belly as they talked about her growing baby. Papa was pacing behind the couch, his arms crossed.

The men all looked so nice in their button-down shirts, preparing themselves to meet the man that abandoned me all those years ago. I thanked God for the family I had ended up in, so supportive and understanding.

My family didn't want to meet Adam. I could see it in their eyes, the trepidation and worry when I informed them of my decision to invite him to dinner. Even then, the next day Ezekiel and Jenna were on their way to us. I wasn't sure why I wanted to give Adam a chance. He hadn't been nice to me three days ago when he sat on the very couch I was currently sitting on, but for some reason, I was clinging to the unlikely occurrence of Adam apologizing, feeling bad for all those times he had the chance to save me and didn't.

The knock on the door, although quiet, made me jump. Papa looked to me with two thumbs up and an encouraging smile. Noah squeezed my hand and I pushed my body closer against his arm.

When Papa answered the door, I heard his friendly, booming greeting from the hallway. "Hello, Adam. Please, come in," he greeted. I found it so sweet that even though my papa didn't like Adam, he still treated him kindly because I had asked them to.

"Hey, good to see you again! Thanks for having me," Adam replied. His voice was eerily smooth and made me shiver. Even though everyone else knew to be kind and to introduce themselves when he entered the living room, I stayed where I sat, feeling chicken because it weirded me out to have this man in my safe space.

"Eden, you look great, sweetheart," Adam declared. His smile looked more menacing than I liked. I attempted a smile back.

"Thank you," I replied politely, trying to be loud enough for him to hear.

"Adam, hello!" Momma rushed into the room with Jenna at her side. "I hope my boys have introduced themselves. This is Jenna. She's my daughter-in-law, married to Ezekiel." Momma was the best at making awkward situations better.

"Oh, Jenna, it's so nice to meet you. Your eyes are lovely, dear."

"Thank you," she stated. Jenna's smile didn't reach her "lovely" eyes. She walked to Zeke and he put his arm around her protectively.

After an awkward pause swept across the room, Momma cleared her throat. "Alright, everyone. Dinner should be ready. We can head into the dining room. Adam, you can sit at the head of the table closest to the wall."

As we made our way to the dining room, Adam waiting until Noah and I began walking so he could walk beside me. For some reason, this man I adored as a child was currently scaring the hell out of me. I waited for Adam to take his seat at the head and I tried to sit as far away as I could, without being at the other end of the table.

"So, Eden. I was thinking... If today goes well, maybe we could work out a way for you to spend the holidays with me. I think that would be so much fun."

Adam seemed so nonchalant. It was like he was asking me about the weather. I, however, could not bring myself to answer. Who did he think I was? Did he know how much he scared me, how much he reminded me of my past? I wasn't okay with spending time with him, much less spending the holidays with him.

Holidays were for being with the family. They were a happy time. Holidays were supposed to take away the stress. Spending time with Adam seemed like the farthest thing from that.