New Things

"But Mom, I don't need to go to Aunt Janet's stupid house! Her new husband is weird and they both smell funny!" Noah's scream filled the house as I let myself in the front door.

It was a Saturday and I had been coming over to the Winters' house for three weeks. I snuck out because Momma and the twins were gone for the day at an amusement park. The twins couldn't control their loud squeals of excitement and they left without saying goodbye to me. I didn't expect them to, I just took that to mean I didn't have to do any chores, so I could visit Noah and his family.

I took the stairs up to Noah's room by two. He and Mrs. Winters stood glaring at each other. Neither of them saw me. "Noah, we have to go see Aunt Janet. She's pregnant and has a new house and we have to tell her congratulations or she'll never talk to us again. Now, don't be rude and get ready. I don't want to hear any more whining."

"But, Mom, I don't care if she never talks to us again! All she does is complain the entire time we're there!

"She's family. We love our family, no matter what. I'm not going to listen to another word." Mrs. Winters left it at that and went to leave the room. She jumped at the sight of me, but a grin took over her features. "Good morning, Eden! Would you like to come to see Noah's aunt with us? We won't be gone for long." I nodded enthusiastically, even though Noah didn't make his aunt sound all that great. I wanted to go wherever Noah went.

She kissed my forehead. "I got you some things." Noah was jumping up and down, his reluctance to see his aunt completely forgotten, excited for whatever Mrs. Winters got me.

They both took one of my hands and led me down the stairs into the guest room. Mrs. Winters opened the closet door and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was almost overflowing with clothes that were my size. School dresses, shorts, pants, skirts, and even Sunday dresses in all different colors caught my eye. I wanted to cry at their kindness. In the drawers that covered the floor of the closet, I could see socks, underwear, nightgowns, and pajama bottoms. One drawer held toiletries: a hairbrush, hair ties, toothbrush and toothpaste, and detangling spray for my hair.

I wrapped my arms around Mrs. Winters' legs and squeezed with all my might. I could never thank her enough. I wondered for the hundredth time why she would do these things for me.

"Eden, we just want you to be able to have a safe place to stay in case you need it. You've been a wonderful friend to Noah and I've always wanted a little girl to spoil with clothes. There's always a warm shower here for you and clean towels. Whenever you need it, we're here for you." Her blue eyes glittered with tears and she brought me in for a hug. I only flinched a little at her sudden nearness and hugged her back.

Mrs. Winters stood up and grabbed me a blue cotton dress and some underwear, handing it to me before pointing her finger at the door. "Now, both of you find a bathroom and take a shower. Aunt Janet is waiting on us. Noah, get Eden a towel and make sure you wash your feet, young man. You're smelly. Eden, when you're clean, I'll help you brush through your hair. I have to wrangle the other boys. Hurry, kids."

I followed Noah into the hallway and took the towel from the linen closet beside the downstairs bathroom. The shower settings were different from the ones at my own house, but I figured them out after trying a few times.

Once I was clean, I dressed in my comfortable outfit. I adored how soft the fabric felt on my skin and went on a search for Mrs. Winters. My bruises on my arms and legs were still visible, but Momma hadn't hit me in a week because she had been gone a lot and they were starting to fade a little. I felt pretty, not having to wear my tights and scratchy long-sleeved dresses.

I could hear Noah singing in his shower at the top of his lungs. I walked into Mrs. Winters room and she turned away from her vanity where she was doing her makeup when she heard me come in. "Good, Eden, you look beautiful. Let me brush your hair and you'll be ready to go!"