The Loneliness

I woke up by my mother's side with tears in my eyes. My breath was cold and my face burned as if it had frostbite. I tried to move but I was frozen in place. It hurt every time I took a breath. I was tired and hungry. Then everything went black, but I could still hear. I heard people yelling and sirens from cars.

When I opened my eyes I was in a hospital bed wrapped in bandages. My left leg was in a brace. I tried to sit up but my side began to hurt. It felt like someone was stabbing me through the chest with a steak knife. I pulled the covers off of my bandaged body and put my legs over the side of the bed. As I took my first step, I fell to the floor with a huge thud. I screamed in pain, but no one could hear me.

I held on to the side of the bed so I wouldn't fall again. I walked over to the door and looked to my left and saw my mother. She was pale and her whole face was bruised. I walked over to her and grabbed her hand. She was as cold as ice. Then I put my finger to her nose and there was no breath. She wasn't breathing! I scream in terror and the nurse came in and grabbed me then put me back in my bed. "Leigha what on earth were you doing out of bed? You need to rest."

I didn't want to rest. My mom was dead and my family probably didn't even know. I started to cry and tremble with sorrow. My mom was gone and I could do nothing about it. If only I could've stopped the car crash then she would still be with me. Mom...

I cried myself to sleep. Then I woke up to a warm hand holding mine. I saw my dad in tears with my brothers behind him. I grabbed my dad and wrapped him in a huge bear hug. I missed him so much. Before the car crash Mom and I went to New York for my dance performance. We were gone for a month and I haven't seen my dad since we left. "Daddy... she's... gone isn't she?" He put his head down on my chest. I knew what that meant.

The nurse came in and put me in my real clothes. I grabbed my stuff and limped my way to our car. We were all silent on the way home. I don't like silence at all because it makes me deal with my emotions. I started crying again. My older brother, Wyatt, grabbed my hand and held it tightly. We both cried together and held each other. My older brother and I are really close but sometimes we can't stand each other, but not this time.

When we got home, Wyatt grabbed my luggage. He put it inside and I followed him. My younger brother, West, gave me a hug and kissed my cheek. Wyatt is nineteen years old, whereas West is eight years old. I am sixteen, but right now I feel younger than West. I'm crying my eyes out like a baby would if it lost it's blanket.

I walked into my room and sat on my bed. I was there for hours and never moved. Dad brought my dinner in, but I didn't touch it. I didn't want to go on without my mom. I missed her already. Then I decided to get up and get in the shower. The water was freezing cold, but it felt good on my skin. I washed my hair and ran through it with my fingers. When I was done I tried to get out of the shower but my left leg gave out. I fell on my hip and could feel it beginning to bruise.

I got up and put my clothes on. Then I grabbed my leg brace and put it back on my leg. Then I grabbed my crutches and limped to the kitchen. I got a glass of milk and got Oreos out of the cabinet. I dipped the cookies in my milk and slowly ate them. When I checked the clock it was 2:30 in the morning.

I went back to my room and got to bed. I didn't sleep at all. I knew if I slept I would watch my mom die all over again. It wasn't hard to stay awake when you are in pain. My leg hurt so bad that I nearly cursed. I grabbed my leg and started crying again. I think my dad heard me because he came in and held me until I fell asleep.

In my dream I was in New York again. I was dancing on stage. I was performing my own piece by myself. Ballet wasn't easy, but I loved the way I could fly through the air. My blonde hair went in every direction as I danced. Then as I touched the ground with my toes, the scene shifted. I was in my mom's car again. We were both singing along with the radio, when a pickup truck hit the side of our car. The car flipped over and over again. Then I woke up.