Chapter 24

- | Fluttering hearts | -

It is only during the new year that no differences between star ranks are made, and the differences in food are gone. But, the packets given to everyone had obvious distinctions based on star rank.

"Do you know what day it is today?" asked Mikan, in high spirits.

"It's the first of January, should be a good day," replied Koko, oblivious of what the girl is trying to mean. Sakura, waking up late again, just entered the scene.

Since the incident of Mikan blurting out her secret, Sakura had been receiving quite an amount of attention again. Even so, she didn't blame Mikan for it and soon enough, the gossips about her had subsided.But the treatment for her changed, like the girls who made fun of her for being a no-star came up and apologized.

Everyone looked at the new arrival, commenting how cute she is in kimono. "Sakura-chan! Happy new year!" greeted Mikan. "Do you know whose birthday it is today?"

"Happy new year too, Mikan-chan!" Sakura giggled, trying to avoid answering Mikan's question. They've all prepared a surprise party for her so everyone decided to pretend like they know nothing. "Ano - "

"Everyone~! The greeting cards are here!" Sakura lets out a sigh of relief. The greeting cards were distributed to everyone. Mikan got at least twenty and Sakura received greeting cards from her friends in Tomoeda and England. Natsume, however received nothing.

"Hyuuga-kun!" called Sakura. Natsume looked at her frowning. "Here..." she smiled, handing him a greeting card she made. Sakura had also given the others the same card. Natsume hesitated at first but took it, before looking away.

"...you," he whispered. (~Thank you)

Sakura blinked. Did she just hear..."Nani? What was that...?"

Natsume was resisting the urge to glare at Sakura, but nonetheless held it in. "I said... you heard me! Ugh, just go back there."

The card mistress giggled and stopped. "Happy New Year, Hyuuga-kun," she said simply, and went back to the others.

~ * ~

Sakura and the rest were looking for Mikan outside, scared that she might how run off when she thought that everyone had forgotten her birthday. Sakura also felt guilty about it. Permy and the others were busy ranting how they should have just celebrated it like the usual, when Sakura felt Mikan's presence hiding with Narumi behind the tree. She giggled, seeing her friend teary-eyed, while listening to their conversations.

Soon enough, Mikan ran to them happily, knowing that they never had forgotten about her birthday. Narumi followed after, which caught Sakura's attention. She looked at his other hand covered in gloves, but Narumi quickly hid it noticing Sakura's staring at it.

'Hm, I wonder what he's hiding?' frowned Sakura.

~ * ~

"Eh, Hotaru got an invitation to the 'Flower Garden Party?' " asked Misaki. The two sempai seemed shock. "This is Hotaru - no wonder only outstanding geniuses and beauties from the elementary section have ever received notice."

Sakura glanced at the invitation in her hands. She too, have received the same letter but chose to keep silent. 

"The news about the Middle School Principal is... although there's no way of knowing whether this is true, I hear she hates men. The Flower Garden Party has a 'Secret Garden' that can only be entered by the invited females," explained Misaki. "Those selected to be members of the Flower Garden Party will be called 'Flower Princesses.' A complete set of abilities with beautiful face. Only girls with very high standards can become 'Flower Princesses.' "