Fall

Gabriel was having trouble teaching Castiel how to fly.

The small fledgling was impatient and didn't pay much attention. Balthazar said they should just push him off the first heaven and see if he taught himself how to fly.

Gabriel immediately said no, not wishing to frighten Castiel from flight. But as time passed and Gabriel's patience grew thin, he thought that maybe throwing Castiel off was their best option.

Now, Gabriel was cruel and didn't just push Castiel off. He told Castiel of his plans and had Balthazar wait under the first heaven to catch their brother in case he didn't fly.

"Remember what I taught you, Castiel," Gabriel said to his brother.

Castiel nodded impatiently, not looking scared of being pushed off the only world he knew. "Catch the wind with my wings, and some other stuff."

Gabriel rolled his eyes but thought that catching the wind was a good start for his brother.

"Ready, Castiel?" Gabriel asked.

Castiel nodded. Before Gabriel could push him off, Castiel jumped off.

Gabriel looked over the side to where Balthazar remained under Castiel as the fledgling spread his black wings with difficulty.

But as soon as they were open, Castiel stopped falling.

Gabriel whooped loudly, a smile on his face."Good job, Castiel!"

Castiel ended up falling because his wings grew tired quickly, but a smile was placed on his face for a long time.

Not even the rumbling of another argument between Father and Lucifer broke the smile.

It took Castiel six more lessons before he could truly fly. Not for long periods of time, but enough to make him happy and have him bragging to the other fledglings.

Gabriel, at one point, had to scold Castiel about his bragging, leading to an angry Castiel and a guilty Gabriel.

In the end, Castiel stopped his bragging and started to help out a few of the other fledglings with their own flight.

Gabriel found him sometime after. Castiel was with a sister and a brother, both who looked shy about trying to fly.

Gabriel only saw Hannah and Samandriel from afar, but he was glad Castiel was starting to get along with others.

He drew closer to the three and heard them talking amongst themselves.

"Lailah said its not time for me to fly. My wings are still too heavy," Hannah said.

Castiel smiled brightly, "I can fly and my wings are heavy too! Gabriel and Balthazar taught me how to fly! They can teach you too!"

"Lailah said Gabriel and Balthazar are going to fall," Hannah said quietly.

Gabriel's eyes widened and he looked around. His eyes landed on his sister, who was tending to Uriel and Mikel.

He quickly made his way to her and she spotted him approaching. She pushed Uriel and Mikel away, telling them to stretch their wings.

"How may I help you, Gabriel?" Lailah asked.

Gabriel growled, "I just heard Hannah tell Castiel that you're saying I'll fall!"

Lailah didn't flinch. She remained calm and serious. "You're attached to Lucifer. We angels all know it won't be too long before God throws him out. And with him will fall his little brother, Gabriel, because Gabriel didn't find it fair. Why do you think I disliked you raising Castiel? Because he'll fall with you! There's a reason I tell the other angels to draw away from Castiel and you. I don't want my brethren to fall, but you, and Lucifer, and maybe even Castiel are far too gone for anyone to save."

If it hadn't been for the thunderous boom of another argument between God and Lucifer, Gabriel would have smitten his own sister.

∆∆∆

Word count: 608