Turned Backs

Gabriel was brought out of his thoughts of the argument between Father and Lucifer by a small chirpy voice.

"Garbiel!"

A smile split his face and he looked down at Castiel. "Its Gabriel, Castiel."

Castiel smiled brightly, "I know."

Gabriel laughed, "So you do. How can I help you, Castiel?"

Castiel looked down at his feet, seemingly ashamed. His wings became visible. The black, feathery wonders were on the ground, looking as if Castiel was too lazy to keep them upright.

"May you teach me to fly?" Castiel asked.

Gabriel was surprised. Fledglings didn't learn to fly until their wings suited them. By the looks of it, Castiel was still too small to try to learn.

"Castiel . . . "

Then again, Lucifer had taught Gabriel before Gabriel had been ready. And Gabriel had three pairs of wings.

"Alright. I'll teach you how to fly, Castiel. Just promise me that if you cannot fly now, you will not be upset."

"Understood," Castiel agreed. The small fledgling smiled, "If I can't fly now, we can try later, right Gabriel?"

"Yes, Castiel," Gabriel promised.

Gabriel led Castiel to the first heaven and they found Balthazar, who was helping their sister Penemue write all of their Father's knowledge into the Book of Enoch.

"Gabriel. Castiel." Penemue (Gabriel called her Penney) smiled warmly. Her silver wings fell as she stooped down to Castiel's height. "Going to fly, Castiel?" Castiel nodded. She stood up and nodded at Gabriel, "I believe you will need Balthazar then."

"If it is no trouble to you, Penney," Gabriel said.

Penney shook her head of black curls, "Not at all. The Book of Enoch was my responsibility, not his. I can manage on my own."

Balthazar wished Penney good luck and he followed Gabriel. "She's terrifying."

Gabriel scoffed, "Penney? Terrifying? She's one of the nicest angels around, Balthazar!"

Balthazar looked back to where Penemue had returned to writing. "She knows almost everything, Gabriel. She's almost the same as Lucifer and you know it."

Gabriel stiffened, "Lucifer is our brother, and Penney our sister. We are not to bad mouth them, Balthazar."

"Of course. Just let me tell you that when Lucifer tries to go against Father — don't deny that he won't! — more angels are going to fall with Lucifer. I fear that with her knowledge, Penemue will fall as well."

Gabriel stopped and faced Balthazar. "Enough! Its bad enough that Michael and Raphael have turned their backs to Lucifer! We shouldn't be taking sides, but trying to mend the problems!"

Balthazar looked down, at Castiel, and nodded. "Of course."

Castiel watched the two in fear of losing his family. He hadn't personally met Michael or Raphael or Lucifer, but they were family and he didn't want them hurt.

Gabriel saw the distraught look on Castiel's face and smiled, "Its alright, Castiel. Let's go teach you how to fly."

∆∆∆

Word Count: 475