Ch 60: The Night Terror Myth

Start from the beginning

clinging to him as he carried me I nodded, "Women who respect themselves wouldn't let a man get away with something like what he did."

"Lola...the universe is full of circumstances right? Now, if axel were a perfectly sane mortal man, I would agree with you. but he's not. He's half night terror."

"...you always say that.." I looked up at him wide eyed, "but I don't understand."

sighing, Karma put me down, tails flicking and his eyebrows furrowed, "I guess we never really explained did we? he never does and I forget you were raised as a non magic mortal..but the full story is too long and no one but Leviathan himself knows what really happened. so how about I tell you the short version of the night terror myth?"

I nodded grabbing his hand as we walked through the winding halls.

"alright well..before leviathans fall...there wasn't really demons per say, the underworld was a mass of swirling energy created by humans sins and ill wishes after death, a sort of cold place where souls slowly rotted into that mass." 

...ew.

siging he continued, "then whatever happened with those heavenly assholes happened and for reasons still unknown to the underworld, Leviathan was banished from the heavens and fell from grace." Karma looked off into the distance, "it depends on who you ask. but some say it took six days for him to fall all the way to the underworld, others say longer...much longer. but either way the story always goes that during his fall, leviathans wings began to burn. Lola, an angels wings are so sensitive so pure  that even the gentlest touch can be agonizing without caution and yet they are so strong it is nearly impossible to break them."

my lips parted in surprise, "wow..."

"yeah...well supposedly the fall destroyed his wings and his ability fly as all angels do. Hell, Lola..wasn't meant to be a mortal prison at first..But one for an angel. destroying his wings was the fall's doing. but demons were intentional by the father of angels."

"God?" my brows furrowed in confusion, "why would god create demons?"

"he didn't. but he didn't stop our creation either. you see Lola, according to myth everything ugly, hideous, and horrible about leviathan ran through his veins and the fall tore him to pieces. so when he hit the mass energy and landed at the very darkest part of the underworld the impact created a crater that still exists far beneath his palace. it also created demons."

"...how?"

"his blood, his hatred, his lust, his rage, everything unholy about leviathan that ran through his veins was released from his broken body through his blood, the energy latched onto it and tada demons." he smiled almost bitterly at me, "we were made from his sins for the sole purpose of keeping him here."

"what?"

"its in our instincts still to tear him down and drag him back when we know he's gone. we just got better at ignoring it with time and some of the forms of demons felt it less than others."

I tried to process this thoroughly confused. "..what does this have to do with Lava cakes worse side?"

"well...demons were made from the sins in his blood, all of them according to the story except  for night terrors." Karma squeezed my hands, "according to the story, when leviathans wings were burning in the days of his fall the golden angels blood in his veins turned black. that was the blood that created us, but night terrors were created by the burnt feather of an angel."

"...why would that matter? its a feather?"

"Lola..angel feathers don't burn. they can't burn. not unless an angel is stripped of his position and flung from heavens gates. a burnt angel feather is due to pure sin, pure rage, and above all hatred. Its violent and terrible, the feathers are supposed to turn to ash. but according to legend. Leviathans didn't, not all of them. and one bloodied feather reached the bottom of that crater he created and the darkest energy of the underworld latched onto it, breaking it down to mix with its energy. and out of that hole crawled the first night terrors. devoid of anything but rage. there was no mix of sins for them. only rage. only hatred." He swallowed hard, "Lola. demons were meant to be prison guards to Leviathan, night terrors were born to kill him and everything he touched. because essentially they were him at his worst."