Chapter 3

My eyes widen in shock and I freeze, looking around in order to try to find the source of the gun shots.

"Get down!" Landon yells from beside me when more shots ring out, but I'm still trying to figure out what is happening.

Suddenly, I'm being pushed to the ground and Landon is on top of me. I give him a small thanks, knowing that it is safer to be on the ground. Not only are we out of the way of gunfire, but more importantly, the werewolves will not see us as a threat.

"Are you okay?" Landon mutters, his face inches from mine.

I nod, trying to regulate my breathing. I'm freaking out. I turn my head, trying to peak out from under Landon. I glance around and see several people on the ground. Many are shaking, clearly humans that are alive and terrified, like me. Werewolves are running around, looking very angry. Many have guns drawn and a few have even shifted into their wolf forms.

"Fuck..." I mumble, closing my eyes.

"We are going to be fine," Landon soothes, but I can still hear the worry in his voice.

It takes forever, but eventually, the werewolves seem like they have managed to secure the area. I watch as beasts begin pulling humans up off of the ground, dragging them off. My eyes widen when I see several people on the ground, unmoving. By the sheer size of the bodies, I can tell that they are mostly wolves. The Resistance must have shot them with silver bullets; there's no other way to kill a wolf with a gun. Tears leak out of my eyes as I see several dead humans; the wolves clearly killed them either out of anger, or before the humans could show that they were not a threat.

In a blink of an eye, Landon disappears from on top of me and I am pulled up as well. A werewolf has his hands wrapped tightly around my arms. I feel the heat radiating off of him and I can tell that he is furious. I am praying that he isn't about to kill me.

In front of us, I see the humans being lined up against the brick wall of a tall building. The rest of the streets are completely devoid of human life and I have a feeling that the werewolves have locked down the city. When we get close to the rest of the humans, I'm roughly shoved against the wall. I grasp my shoulder in pain, knowing a bruise will be forming later.

"Stay," is all that the werewolf grunts out before he stalks off. I hold back an eye roll at his use of language. For beasts that get so irritated when they are called 'mutts' or 'dogs,' they sure love to treat us like just that.

I look up at Landon, who is right beside me. He gives me a reassuring smile, but I can see the fear in his eyes. In front of the line of humans are several werewolves with guns, clearly making sure that we do in fact stay.

My eyes widen in fear, worrying that they may be lining us up to execute us. There's probably about twenty of us humans and it would not take long for the wolves to kill all of us. I grab onto Landon's upper arm in fear, half hiding behind his body. Even though I've never been attracted to Landon romantically, I'm grateful for the protective warmth that he provides.

"We're going to die," I hear a woman sob somewhere to my left and I shudder.

The werewolves don't do anything for a long time. They stare us down, but nothing else. It's almost like they are waiting for someone.

My suspicions are confirmed when a werewolf with black hair and dark brown eyes comes walking up to us angrily. I recognize him as the Beta. I have only seen him once before, over a year ago, and it was only briefly. While I feel myself shaking in fear, as the Beta is known to be incredibly cruel, I silently thank God that the Alpha Commander himself didn't show up.