Chapter 2

The next year and a half of life under the control of the werewolves was uneventful. Every day felt like a repeat of the last. There was nothing exciting in my daily routine anymore.

I woke up at six in the morning. I'd go get my breakfast ration and eat in my apartment while watching the one news channel... run by werewolves, for werewolves.

I met up with Chelsea and Landon at seven thirty and we walked all the way to work. Cars were no more for us humans so we had to go everywhere on foot. Not that we had that many places to go.

Landon and I worked at the restaurant until our lunch break at one. We'd go get our rations, eat in one of the parks downtown, and then get back to work by two.

We'd get off work at seven. Luckily, werewolves seemed to finish dinner earlier than humans. I was thankful for that. An eleven-hour work day, with the hour long break for lunch, was long enough. I don't think I could have made it much longer than that.

We'd meet back up with Chelsea, go get our rations, and eat dinner in one of the two apartments. Dinner was always the least stressful part of the day. Sometimes, I'd forget what was going on outside of those four walls.

After dinner, I would go get ready for bed. I'd watch a few reruns or one of the movies that they played for us before going to sleep around eleven. I usually woke up at least once because of the nightmares.

Then the day would repeat.

The only interesting thing that happened was when the Resistance decided to try something. Even though I was not a supporter of the rebel group, the sheer fact that it made a day even a little bit different from the last was refreshing. Normally, the Resistance only tried to attack the beasts once it was dark out, as they were less likely to be caught under the cover of night.

But for some reason, on February 1st, the Resistance made a move at 1:48 pm. And that attack would change my life once more.

~

"Hello," I greet the werewolves as cheerfully as I can. It gets easier to fake happiness with time. It's better to be nice to the monsters than to be killed for disrespecting them. "Party of four?" I ask when I count four male wolves in front of me.

The leader of the group nods, no emotion on his face. That was normal. Usually the only emotion the werewolves show is anger.

I grab four menus and smile at them again. "Right this way." I lead them to a booth and place the menus down once they're all settled in. "Landon will be your server; he'll be right with you."

I subtly check my watch as I walk back to the front of the restaurant. 12:45. Only fifteen more minutes until lunch. I had never been much of a clock checker before the werewolves took over, but now I always find myself glancing down, hoping that the day will soon be done.

I tune out the sound of Landon taking the werewolves' orders and look outside. I watch the humans walking passed the restaurant. Many of them I recognize. The same people usually walk in front of the window at the same time every day. Us humans have fallen into a schedule and all we have left to do in life is to follow that schedule. It's sad, really, but who am I to talk.

"Rosalie!" Landon's voice cuts me out of my thoughts.

I look up and give him a genuine smile. "Let's go," I say, knowing that is time for our lunch break. We clock out before walking outside. It's surprisingly warm out, even though it is February. All I'm wearing are leggings and a sweater, and I'm comfortable.

"The werewolves I was just serving were not happy," Landon whispers as we walk towards the rations hall.

The werewolves transformed our city hall building into a place for us humans to get our rations. It irked me to no end that they walked all over our fallen government like it was nothing. I hate how little respect they have for us.