30

"Okay Anna... everything is going to turn out fine..." I assured myself as I paced nervously in my living room. "All you have to do is tell Nate he's Marcello's father... that's all."

What if he rejects him? What if he gets mad at me and then decides to fight for custody?

"Oh no no no. He wouldn't do that..."

My palms began to sweat as the negative thoughts I tried so hard to forget wriggled into my mind again. Anxiety crashed over me and my thoughts were consumed with worry.

"Don't be ridiculous, Anna. Just call him and invite him over."

I then grabbed my phone and dialed Nate's number. I sucked in a shaky breath, feeling my throat constrict as I heard it ring.

"Hello?" A deep, sensual voice answered after the third ring.

Panic rose like bile in my body. I suddenly didn't know how to speak... or walk. I just stood blankly, staring into thin air. My palms were clammy, and it was all I could do in order not to knot my fingers together.

"Hello." I managed to say, the word rolling out of my mouth like tumbleweed. "Nate, this is-."
"Anna." My name gushed out of his mouth in a strained whisper. "What can I do for you?"
"I... well... I was wondering if you could come over? There's something I have to tell you." I spoke softly. "It's important."
"Okay... Text me the address?"
"Um yeah.." I fake coughed. "Sure. See you soon."

I then hang up and texted Nate my address. After which I showered and got ready for his arrival. I wore a spaghetti top and a tulip skirt which flared out from the hips and fell above my knees, showing my milky legs. I heard my doorbell ring minutes later.

He's here...

I inhaled deeply and walked to answer it.

"Hey beautiful."
"Lorenzo... um... hi. What are you doing here? I thought you said you'd be going back to the US today."
"My flight got cancelled. Here..." He handed me a bouquet of roses. "I know how much you love these."
I turned crimson. "Thank you."
"Welcome." He grinned. "Well..."
"Well what?" I asked.
He chuckled. "Aren't you going to let me in?"
"Oh... right. I would but now isn't a good time..." I mumbled. "You see... the thing is..."
"Anna?" He arched a brow. "What is it?"
"I invited Nate over. I want him to know about his child."
"Wait, I thought you didn't want him to know."
"Yes but... that was before I found out Evelyn lied about everything."
"Oh I see. Uh... can I ask you something? And please, be honest with me."
I nodded. "Okay."
"Are you still in love with Nate?"
"I did not see that coming." I chuckled nervously. "I... uhh..."
"You do, don't you?"
I gulped. "Yes. I'm sorry, Lorenzo. I tried so hard to forget him-"
"It's fine. I can tell he loves you too. I saw how hurt he was when Marcello called me papa... Look Anna, I could never get in the way of two people who love each other. So if I'm the reason you two aren't together... then I'm letting you go."
I shook my head. "No-"
"Shh." He placed a finger on my lip. "It's okay. I think it's better if we go back to being friends."
"I-I don't know what to say. I mean..."
"There's nothing to say, Anna. I've got to go... goodbye Anna." He said before walking away.

I stood alone at my doorstep. I was so lost in my thoughts I hadn't realized that someone was standing right beside me.

"Anna?"
"Hm?" I turned to find Nate staring right at me. "Oh hi. You're... here. Um... please come in and have a seat."
"Thanks."
"Would you like anything to drink?" I asked as I placed the bouquet on the kitchen counter.
"No, thank you."