28

A/N: I'm so so so SORRY for the slow updates guys. I'm afraid it's going to get a lot worse; school just reopened and I doubt I'd have any free time to update :(
I want to thank you for the continuous votes and comments. I really really appreciate it. You're probably dying to know what happened next. Well here it goes.
Enjoy!

*******************************************

"Leave us, Joe." Evelyn ordered my kidnapper.
"But-" He begun to protest.
"Go!"

The man then stood and stared at me.

Just stared.

Nothing else.

Yet I could feel my pulse beating in my ears, blocking out all other sound except the breath that was raggedly moving in and out of my mouth at regular, gasping intervals. He would not take his eyes away from the mine.

Evelyn sighed. "Do not make me repeat myself, Joe."

He finally tore his gaze from mine, inhaled deeply and walked out of the room.

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Pardon his manners. He's just upset because he won't get to hear you scream. That's what gives him pleasure... torturing women."

I could feel the sensation of my heart palpitating...forcing ripples of it's throbbing blood directly to my temples. I sat still, paralyzed. I was disconsolate...and for the first time in my life, secluded from the rest of the world.

"Anna." She pouted. "Haven't you missed me?"
"What do you want from me?"
"Oh please! What could I possibly want from you?"
"Then why am I here?"
"I thought I told you to stay away from my husband."
"I did... I-"
"Really? By having sex with him in an Elevator?"

I swallowed hard.

How did she know?

"He's the one refusing to let me go."
She scoffed lightly. "I know you still love him. Don't you dare deny it. I know everything... How's your son by the way? Marcello, is it?"

Oh God... She and Nate are going to take him away from me.
That's why Nate came looking for me...
This can't be happening... No no no no!

"Don't you dare go near my son." I warned. "You'd know what I'm capable of if you do..."
Evelyn smirked. "Mm feisty!"
I ignored her and continued. "Do not even lay a finger on him."
"Boring." She yawned. "Tell me Anna, how would Nate feel if he finds out that you left knowing very well you were carrying his child?"
"I don't care how he'd feel or what he thinks." I spat. "He only wanted to use me. There's no way I'm letting you two go near my son."

Evelyn tried to supress her giggling, but ended up bursting into loud laughter. "Oh Anna! You really are naive." Her eyes brimmed with tears of mirth. She held the stitch in her side as peals of laughter continued to burst from deep within. "I mean... how could you be so stupid? Nate doesn't want to take your child away. I lied to you."
"W-what?" I breathed.
"Everything I told you years ago was a lie, well, except for part where I told you I wasn't sick. That part really is true. I knew Nate wanted get divorced from me and of course I didn't want that. So I told my doctor to write a letter saying I had a deathly disease. I knowingly left it on the bed and headed out... I believe you know the rest of the story."

My eyebrows knitted closely together as I stared at her in complete awe.

"Oh gosh!" She laughed hysterically, with tears running down her face. "You should see your face."
"You're insane." I croaked.
"Yeah, yeah whatever." She rolled her eyes. "Nate really wants to become a father. You should have seen him when he saw the results of the paternity test. He was so happy." She paused for a moment and continued. "I don't regret getting rid of that child, you know? It wasn't even his. Actually, I'm not sure who the father of that thing was. Fortunately, I overheard Jeremy telling Nate to get another test done once my child... it was born. Gosh, he's so smart. The moron told Nate I couldn't be trusted. I knew I had to get rid of it. It turned out for the best. You have no idea how relieved I was when I found out I lost the child and I couldn't have kids." She smiled. "It meant not getting fat and still being with Nate..."

A heart wrenching feeling tore my chest apart and warm tears streamed down my face. I felt no wisp of relief, as my mind drifted further into the abyss of sorrow.

Poor child.

"... I was happy. Everyone loved and envied me. Everything was perfect." Her smile suddenly faltered and her mouth became a straight line. "Until you came along with your 'holier than thou' act. You ruined everything. I thought getting you to stay away from Nate would solve my problem but I was wrong. Even after I wrote that letter saying you were leaving him for someone richer he still searched for you."

Nate wasn't lying about the letter. He's... he's... innocent. I can't believe I was so stupid as to believe Evelyn's lies.

I shook my head in despair. "You're despicable. How could you do that to Nate? How could you do that to your own child... your own flesh and blood? Being a mother is a blessing, Evelyn. It is so amazing and overwhelming to hold your child in your arms for the first time; you just wouldn't believe how much you could love someone completely and entirely. There are many barren women who would die to be able to know that feeling. But you, you-"
"Just stop talking already!" She gritted. "You are not here to lecture me."

Silence.

"You have no idea how Nate wanted to get rid of me when he found out. He begun to get suspicious because years had passed and I was still alive. I told him the doctor found a way to 'prolong my life.' He obviously didn't believe that and went to see my doctor/lover. The coward spilled the beans when Nate threatened to expose him if he did not tell him what was really going on. So now he knows... everything. But he still couldn't get rid of me." She smirked wickedly. "You see I had to have a plan B if he were to find out the truth. I secretly bought shares in Nate's company and became a majority shareholder. He knew damn well that if he divorces me, I wouldn't hesitate to burn his company to the ground. Besides he had nothing to lose... thankfully, you were no more in the picture."

I continued to stay quiet as I stared at her in disbelief.

"Your boyfriend is quite a catch, Lorenzo Barzetti. I wonder what he and Nate see in you."

How did she-

"You're probably wondering how I seem to know everything, aren't you? I guess that's an advantage of having a spy as your lover... well... one of your lovers." She grinned. "My very own James Bond."
I gasped. "Please let me go, Evelyn... I promise not to say a word about this to anyone."
"I believe you, Anna. But there's still a problem... my husband."
"I'll go someplace far with my son." I said almost immediately.
She huffed. "You don't get it, do you? Nate will move heaven and earth to find you. I know it. And then I'll be the laughing stock of the entire world. People would say my husband left me for his unattractive assistant." Evelyn paused and shook her head. "I can't let that happen."
"What are you saying?" I stammered.
A broad smile spread wide across her face. "Can't you even guess?"

I slowly shook my head as uncontrollable tears stained my cheeks.

"Boo! You're no fun at all, Anna. Anyway..." She exhaled deeply. "Let's just say this is going to be your new home. Until I get bored and order Joe to end you. Slowly."