2

Months later

My mind was fuzzy. The last remnants of my dream being chased away by the realisation that I was awake again. It was a nice dream, something about Mr. Sommers and I making out on a beach but the details are fading fast even as I tried to recall them.
With a mental sigh I allowed my brain to focus and cautiously opened one eye. The bright spring sunlight cut the room in half and I saw dust-motes dancing in the wall of light. I pulled the duvet up over my head to keep it out. It was not going to work, my brain was awake now and was already worrying about seeing my boss at the office.
I slid out from the thick quilt and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I reached for my bedside table and flicked on the light switch but realized I didn't need it at all and turned it back off. The digital clock read "6:30" in boxy red numbers. I slowly walked to my bathroom to brush my teeth and have my bath. After, I had my breakfast and readied myself for work.
The crushing sounds of taxi horns, the hum of the street lights, chattering voices, the sound of traffic stopping and starting at the flash of the light, the side alleys with quiet beggars bedding down, the whirring of the hotel doormen opening whoosh and closing shoosh the doors of the hotels, early morning workers running for cabs (running and clanking their heels on the concrete sidewalks) and lastly dogs howling in the distance as I drove to work were what contributed to a very typical morning in New York City 6th Avenue.

"Good morning, Anna. You're here early." Michelle, my colleague from work greeted as I got out of my Opel Vectra.
"Good morning, Michelle. I'm always early. You on the other hand.." I joked.
"Hey, At least I came early today. Give me some credit here."

I laughed as we walked into Sommers Shipping Company together (SSC).

"So how was the party you told me about? Did you have fun?" She asked once we entered the elevator.
"But that was months ago." I chuckled. "How are you now asking?"
She shrugged. "I guess I forgot to ask."
"Oh Michelle! Anyway, I did. My friend's boyfriend really knows how to party." I replied before pushing the 20th button, the floor reserved for only the CEO and his PA. "Mr Sommers was there."
"OUR BOSS?"
"Yeppp."

The elevator stopped when it reached the 12th floor.

"This is me." Michelle groaned. "You'd have to fill me in during lunchtime, Anna."
"Of course." I nodded. "Bye Michelle."

I finally got to my floor and headed straight to my office. I placed my bag on my desk and noticed a yellow sticky note on my laptop which read;

Miss Gellar,
Come to my office as soon as you arrive. We have important matters to discuss.
-Mr Sommers.

I quickly adjusted my black pencil skirt and grabbed a notepad as well as a pen before walking to his office.

"Come in." A rich, husky voice answered after I knocked lightly on my boss' door.

I inhaled deeply before doing exactly that.

"Good morning sir. You wanted to see me?"
"Good morning, Miss Gellar. Sit." He said with his eyes glued to his laptop.

I nodded and took a seat.
He stopped typing a minute later and looked intently into my eyes and my lips instinctively parted.

"Tell me Miss Gellar... Were you born stupid or is it all an act?"
"Excuse me?" I stuttered.
"I think you were born stupid."
"Sir.. I don't understand. What did I-"
"Did I or did I not tell you to email the proposal to Mr Rogers?" He snapped.
"I did, sir. I swear."
"So how come he called saying he never received it so the deal is off?"
"I don't know, sir. But I did. I did it immediately you told me to."
"Do you realize because of your stupidity this company has lost a billion dollar contract?" He growled impatiently.

I sat still. Tongue-tied.

"Are you still going to deny it?"
"Mr Sommers, I did send-"
"Get out of my office."
"Sir, let me explain. Please."
"OUT!" He ordered.

I hurriedly run to my office with tears streaming down my face. I stayed in my office all day, not wanting to bump into my boss.
Work was finally over and I quickly grabbed my bag and walked out of SSC.

"There's my favorite girl." A masculine voice said behind me when I reached the parking lot.

It was Jack, a friend who also worked at SSC.

"Jack! You scared me... Hi." I whisper yelled as I placed a hand on my chest.

He chuckled.

"Hi Anna. You didn't come down for lunch today."
"I was busy."

Busy crying my eyes out.

"Are you okay?"
"Yes."
"You're lying, Anna. I know you are. You can't fool me one bit. I'm not going to pressure you into telling me. Just know I'd always be there to listen."
"Thank you." I said softly and hugged him.

Why did you have to be gay, Jack?

From the corner of my eye, I could see Mr Sommers staring right at us with a scowl on his face.

What the hell is his problem?

I shook the image away and closed my eyes as Jack pulled me closer to him. I opened my eyes seconds later to see my boss climb furiously into his car and drive off unreasonably.