23

"You look so beautiful." He whispered seductively in my ear.

My cheeks flushed to the color of scarlet.

"So so beautiful." He added and bit gently on my lobe.

More red leaked into my cheeks as I nervously smiled and bit my lip.

Get a hold of yourself, Anna!

"Let me go, Mr Sommers."
"I can't. I've missed you so much, Anna."
"You don't want to keep your 'sick' wife waiting." I spat out.
"We need to talk." He said after a minute of silence and spun me around.
"I really don't think there is anything to talk about."
"Do you have any idea how miserable I was when you left?"
I scoffed. "Were you miserable because you failed to impregnate your ignorant, gullible assistant so you could take her child away and raise it with your wife who miraculously healed from her deathly lung cancer?"
"What?"
"Cut the crap, Nate. I know the whole truth! Evelyn told me everything okay? I can't believe I was so stupid as to believe everything you told me."
"Anna, listen-"
"How could you do this to me? After everything we shared..."

I paused as my mind fogged up and my eyes felt heavy with tears. I felt my lip quivering as I tried my very best to hold the tears back. I tried swallowing my tears and not show my weakness, but my will was too weak. My eyes itched and burned from holding back my tears and my throat was tight. I could feel a cry starting to form. I wished I could push my emotions down so deep that I could forget them, but I couldn't.
So I started to cry.

"You... you hurt me so much, Nate." I rumbled in between sobs.
"I hurt you? You left a note in my office saying you never loved me. You said you were just with me for my money... You found someone richer so it was over between us. I didn't want to believe you were capable of doing such a thing so I rushed to your apartment to ask you about it only for your landlady to tell me you moved out. So don't you dare say I hurt you when in reality it was you who hurt me."
"Stop making stuff up!" I fumed. "Just take responsibility for your own actions. You-"
"Evelyn lied to me, Anna. She lied about being sick... clearly she lied to you too." He cut me off.

Why are you still with her then?!

"You expect me to believe that? Just stop lying already." I sobbed. "I know you two planned to use me. Admit it! Admit it was your idea to knock me up and take my baby away. Admit that didn't love me. Admit that you... ruined everything!"
"You honestly think I'm capable of doing that to you?"
"Yes... you know what else I think? I think you're the lowest. The most despicable. The worst of all men. You have no idea how much I hate you, Nate."

He stayed quiet. The conversation descended into an awkward silence when our eyes met. There was something nostalgic about the pools of color that held me with such longing and passion when he began to lean towards my face as if I were a magnet.

"You hate me, Anna?"
I tensed, groping the bench beneath me, a wave of thoughts bombarded me, ready to burst free. "Yes."
"Mm... well then..." His careful hands wove their way through my hair, suddenly pulling at the strands gently on my scalp, making my ears burn. "Let's see how true that is."

Our lips locked before I could protest. The sudden shock of electricity that shot through me swam around for a few seconds before sizzling into a warm bubble, he slightly opened his mouth and as did I in response. A hard hand stroked my back before pushing me towards a wall with him. His touch was making my head spin but we kept going. His body shifted against mine and his legs intertwined with mine.

"Would your rich boyfriend be okay with you kissing another man?" His voice was almost a growl.

Kiss me again... wait, what?

I shook the thought away and pushed him off me. "Don't touch me again."
He smiled faintly. "You don't hate me, sunshine."
"Don't call me that!" I said as I averted my gaze from his.
He chuckled. "Look away all you want Anna, but you still can't hide the red glow that came over your face."

Another hue of red spread throughout my cheeks as they burned from embarrassment.

"You... you..."
He smirked. "I what, cherry."
"Just leave me alone."
"No... I really need to speak with you. I need you to believe me. I'm not as guilty as you think." He said in a serious tone.

He wasn't crying or anything, but he just had a weary, empty look on his face. I continued to stare at him; contemplating on what to do or say.

"You are the one who hurt me, Anna." He continued.

What? How dare he blame me?

"Goodbye Nate. I hope I never get to see you again after tomorrow." I snapped and walked back inside, leaving him all alone on the balcony.