Chapter 14: Another Gone

Kris signals everyone to run to the center of the loft, into the darkest space in the second floor of the barn. "Go! Get down!"

We all tuck our heads and lean close together. Despite the tension with Caspian, we're using each other. We have to. Really, this is all we have. If this helicopter is after us, there is nothing we can do. Nothing could stop them from attacking us. If this helicopter was equipped with a machine gun, we'll all be dead in a second. Pounding like our heartbeats, the helicopter couldn't be more deafening.

"Hold on to me," Kennedy tells me. The tremble in her voice sounds just like it did when she ran up to my house on the day the sleepers attacked us. She's vulnerable again. We all are. This one isn't in our hands. Her shaking body matches the terror in all of us.

Lindsey is on the other side of me. Her long blond hair covering her face. I know her eyes are closed. She doesn't want to face anything anymore. She looks alone, even in this huddle of people. I reach out to Kennedy and Lindsey, pulling them in close. We can't stop what's happening to us. Who's even flying the helicopter? Sleepers? ...I hope not. I really hope not.

Even Kris seems to be worried. The tension between Caspian and the rest of the group is gone in this moment. It just doesn't seem to end. Kris is grinding his teeth together with his eyes closed.

Owen lets go of his tight squeeze on Mika. Kris is finally opening his eyes. Caspian turns away from the group and walks to the watch point. I was too worried to even realize that the helicopter is gone. The ringing in my ears slowly drifted away. The earsplitting helicopter no longer flying above us.

"We're safe," Titus says.

From the window, Caspian's silhouette with his hands on his hips tells me he's relieved. "It's gone. I think it was just flying over us. It stuck around for a second, but it's gone."

Shaking her head, Mika asks the question we all have on our minds, "What would we even do in that moment?"

No one really has the answer. I know I don't. We're all looking around like a teacher in a classroom. No one has the answer. There's nothing we could do.

"We would do what we have to," Owen responds.

"Yes we would," Kris tells him, "we need to get ready to leave. With a helicopter flying over and dead sleepers outside, we can't just camp around here. We need to make progress to the edge of the sleeper zone."

"Then let's get on it," I say.

"Wait. I have to do something. I want to take care of Sage's body. I have to bury it," Titus suggests.

"Please do," Kennedy says.

Titus waits for Kris' approval. And with a nod, he races down the ladder and to the house. Titus is keeping the humanity in us. We still need to remember the people we've lost. It's just respectful to Sage. The sweet girl. She tried her best. I need to be like her...

"We need to map out how we're gonna get there," Owen says as he pulls out the all-valuable map.

As everyone gathers around the map, Kennedy grabs my arm and pulls me to the side. We find an undisturbed area by the hay bales.

Kennedy sits and plays with a straw of hay to occupy herself. She's fiddling with it like she has a million words on her mind. But the words don't seem to come out. The truth: she doesn't have to say anything. I know exactly what she's thinking. I'm thinking it too.

"Don't worry about it, Ken. Just don't bring it up. Not for now anyway."

She nods her head in understanding, but I know she isn't satisfied... I'm not satisfied.

She jumps up from the hay bale and checks the backpacks. From the way she is slamming the zippers down the side, I can tell she is frustrated at the words she couldn't say. Frustrated at herself. I know how she feels. I have things I wish I could say to Lindsey. How detrimental would that be to her? But what if that's what's holding her back from being more. Maybe she's trapped in her head, in an unending tornado of thoughts. Maybe me telling Lindsey the truth would set her free. The truth usually holds more than we realize. Maybe that's scary to some people...maybe it's a little scary to me...

Kris and Caspian are becoming distracting. I join the group by the window to see what's going on.

"No, no Kris. You don't have an earthly idea. You just don't. Have you ever done anything like this before?!" Caspian sounds like a toddler throwing a fit about losing their place in the lunch line.

"I do have a clue. I've done this before, actually. I was with the military when The Vista and Iceland fought Kakos. I have been here since the beginning. I have kept your group alive."

"Yes, you kept Sage alive didn't you."

"Stop, Caspian. Just stop. Don't talk about Sage like that," Mika says, flipping her charcoal hair out of her eyes and marching towards Caspian. Her stomps are hard enough to shake a few loose boards in the loft.

Caspian tries to interrupt her. He's not listening. He's simply using the time when they're talking as breaks. He's trying to think of what to say next. Trying to prepare a comeback, rather than listening. He is a wall.

"I'm talking," Mika snaps at Caspian, "I said, don't talk about Sage like that. Don't!"

"We're going the way Kris says. He is our leader. You are going to listen to him," Owen tells him.

"A leader can only do what his followers let him," Caspian says with a haunting smirk. His gray eyes not letting Kris go.

"His followers are about to let him leave you behind," Mika snaps at him.

"Everyone calm down. This is the way we're going. This is the path we're taking." Kris looks back at Caspian. He drops his ridiculous smirk.

Kennedy walks past us, leaning on the wall and pointing out the window. Her finger is shaking, not from the cold or weakness but from shock. She can't tell us what's wrong.

Everyone's eyes latch to the scene happening right outside of the house. Right under our nose. We were all too worried about the petty bickering to notice. Titus is being led away by four sleepers into a bulky, dark green vehicle. His hands are in the air with a black bag over his head. The sleepers keep poking him forward with their guns. He knows not to do anything stupid. He's just going along, trying to buy himself time. The black bag over his head matches the color of their combat suits. They scurry him into the back of the bulky vehicle and slam the door behind him, locking him in.

No! Not Titus! I launch from the group and toward the ladder. Kris grabs my shoulders and pulls me back.

"You run out there and we all die," he whispers in my ear.

"Titus is going to die if we don't do anything!"

"He knows how to handle himself! He can survive!" Kris pulls me farther away from the ladder.

Mika whispers, "everyone be quiet!"