Chapter Fourteen

...

“Feeling better sweetheart?” Marissa asked in attempt to sound upbeat. Her heart felt like it had been torn to shreds after witnessing what she saw earlier.

Stefani nodded shyly, not able to form the right words. How could one possibly reply to something like that when they just tried to jump off a high rise building? “Come on, let’s pop you into bed.” Demi cooed, guiding a still fragile Stefani into the bed twenty times her size.

Stefani slid under the covers wearily, attempting to stay awake but her body wouldn't allow it. She had never been more exhausted in her life, and it was probably best she slept to avoid the confrontation she was dreading.

“Come here” Marissa cooed, ushering a teary Demi into her warm embrace. “She’s going to be okay. I’m here for you both” She promised, hugging Demi tight.

“I’m sorry I went off at you earlier. I just wish you told me earlier…” Demi cried; a slight tone of anger coating her voice.

Marissa pulled away from the hug and took Demi’s hand, leading her into the kitchen. “Sit down.” She ordered kindly, pulling out a chair for the lost spirit in front of her. “Do you remember when you were in her position?” Marissa asked hesitantly as she made two giant mugs of hot tea.

Demi grimaced. All of the memories came flooding back at once. She didn't need to reply; her face said it all. “Do you remember how you made me swear, and promise to never tell a  single soul what you were doing to yourself?”

Marissa placed a coaster next to Demi on the counter, and neatly put one of the filled mugs on top. “Do you know how hard that was? How hard this was?

“I told you I would never forgive you if you told them…” Demi reflected sadly as she began to sip her tea, dunking the tea bag in and out nervously.

“You have no idea how hard it has been!” Marissa replied, tears blurring her vision. “Every meal; every moment of every day I was riddled with guilt!”

Demi looked up for the first time to see Marissa’s desperate face. She had no right to be angry at this girl. After everything she has put her through, how dare she be angry at her. “I’m so sorry.” She cried, grabbing Marissa’s shaking hands. “I’m so sorry…” She repeated.

“What if we had have lost her, Dem?” Marissa cried as they both fell into the arms of one another once again. “What if she…”

Demi’s sobs grew louder as the realization hit all over again. “I don’t know what I would have done” She cried, looking back into the room where Stefani was. “I-I-…” Demi’s breathing grew heavier and more panicked by the second as panic overtook her bones. “I can’t breathe. Marissa! I-I can’t breathe...”

Marissa steadily grasped Demi’s shoulders, holding one hand to guide her to the couch in the living area of the hotel suite, almost on the verge of a breakdown herself. “Dem, look at me.” Marissa insisted, crouching down to Demi’s seated level.

Demi looked into Marissa’s fear filled eyes, still struggling to breathe. “Breathe in and out for me sweetheart. In and out.” Marissa insisted, motioning for Demi to try her best to calm down.

Demi nodded frantically. “Can you keep doing that for me?” Marissa asked, standing from her kneeled position. Demi gave another nod. “I’m just going into the kitchen to get some water and something to help you calm down, okay?”

Marissa darted into the kitchen and filled a glass of water to the brim before rummaging through Demi’s handbag on the kitchen counter for her emergency meds. Demi may be recovered, but everyone is entitled to slip ups and bad days. This was no exception.