Chapter Three

On the long drive back to LA, Demi stopped by a small shopping mall to pick up some things for Stefani, so she would have a nice room to come home to on Monday. By observing her clothes, Demi gathered that Stefani was a girly girl, so she bought some pink and white bedding, massive comfy pillows, and some cool bits and pieces to decorate her bedroom with. Being the uncreative person she was Demi was going to need some assistance to set up Stefani’s room, so she called upon Marrissa for some much needed support.  

7:24 PM [Demi] Hey M do you mind coming over to mine? I need your help. Dem”

7:24 PM [Marissa] Sure babe. Everything okay? Will be there in ten”

7:25 PM [Demi] Everything good. Just need some creative inspiration from you”

Marissa breathed a sigh of relief as she threw her phone on the bed to change her clothes. “What to wear?” She whispered to herself, eventually picking out some comfy leggings and an oversized jumper.

*knock knock*

“Come in” Demi’s voice rang from the inside of her apartment. Marissa used her swipe card to enter, finding Demi sitting on the floor surrounded by an array of new stuff, most of which was a bright shade of pink. So unlike Demi, Marissa thought.

“Hey! What’s all this?” Marissa asked curiously as she took a seat on the floor beside Demi.

“That’s kinda what I asked you over for.” Demi replied almost nervously. She knew Marissa wasn’t a judgemental kind of person, but she wasn’t sure how she would take the news about basically taking on a twelve year old kid full time.

“Ever since we got back from Africa, I have been thinking about fostering a kid, and I decided to go ahead with it.” Demi said cautiously, biting her lip in anticipation for a reply.

“A kid? Woah, Dems! That’s a big deal.” Marissa replied, shocked. She didn’t even know Demi had been thinking about doing something that drastic. “Are you sure you’re up to something like that?” She asked in a caring tone.

Demi nodded sincerely. “I have had a while to think about it, and after I met her today at the care centre, I’m 100% sure.” She replied excitedly, although she had to admit, she was a little scared.

Marissa smiled. Although she didn’t expect Demi to do something like this, she always had her back. “So, what do you need me to help you with?” She smiled, picking up one of the big pillows Demi had bought for Stefani.

“Well, I want to do up her room so she has something really nice to come home to. I thought you would be the best person to call!” Demi replied.

“Alright, let’s do some serious decorating!” Marissa said enthusiastically, pumping her fist in the air in typical Marissa fashion.

Demi laughed as she started piling things into Marissa’s arms, gathering the remainder of room décor herself before making their way to what will be Stefani’s bedroom.

“Holy crap, her television is massive!” Marissa laughed. “I wish you were fostering me!” She giggled as Demi threw a pillow at her playfully.

“I think she deserves to be spoilt after all she’s been through.” Demi sighed, prompting Marissa to question her about it.

“What do you know, Dem?” Marissa asked sympathetically. Both girls sat on the edge of Stefani’s Queen sized bed as Demi thought of a way to explain everything.

“Apparently she was abused as a kid.” Demi said sadly, reflecting on her own past. “She has some anxiety issues because of that I guess.” She added with sad eyes.

“Rotten luck!” Marissa replied, trying to lift Demi’s mood. “I guess this must bring back some stuff for you, hey?” She asked caringly, wiping a tear away from Demi’s cheek.

Demi took a deep breath and nodded. As long as she can take care of Stefani properly, and help her through her ups and downs, everything will turn out okay.

“Want some dinner?” Marissa asked, feeling the need to change the direction of their conversation to protect Demi from her own thoughts.

“That would be great!” Demi replied truthfully. “I have the biggest craving for Pizza!” She laughed, tossing her mobile towards Marissa.

Marissa grabbed Demi’s phone and dialled the local Pizza store, ordering a Pizza for them both to share. “Should be here in about half an hour” She said excitedly. Like Demi, Marissa was starving!

While they awaited their dinner, the girls finished decorating Stefani’s room. It looked amazing. Demi was tempted to move in to Stefani’s room herself. “Thanks so much for everything, Marissa.” Demi said quietly as hugged her best friend so tight it almost strangled her.

“You’re welcome babe. I’m here always.” She smiled, screwing up her nose cheekily. “You’re going to be an amazing foster Mom. I just know it.” She added as she pulled Demi down stairs to collect the Pizza that had just arrived.

“That delivery boy was SMOKIN’” Marissa giggled, causing Demi to roll her eyes. “Did you not see him? Come on, you gotta admit!” She added with the widest grin Demi had ever seen.

“Come on Miss Flirty-pants! I’m hungry.” Demi giggled, dragging Marissa into the kitchen with the pizza box. It smelled like heaven.

A comfortable silence filled the room as Demi and Marissa ate their Pizza before Demi suddenly snorted with laughter. “WHAT?” Marissa giggled with a mouthful of food still in her mouth.

“It was so quiet!” Demi giggled. When those two were together, quietness was rare.

Marissa threw a piece of crust towards Demi’s face, but missed by a mile. “Well that was successful.” She said sarcastically as they both broke into fits of laughter.

“Hey, how would you like to move in here with Stef and I?” Demi suddenly asked as she chewed her last bite of pizza. “I mean, there’s no pressure, but I think you would be the perfect candidate.” She added sincerely. There was truly no one she trusted more than Marissa.

Marissa was caught by surprise. “Me? Really?” She questioned honestly. “That would be amazing, but are you sure?” She asked again. Her current housing situation wasn’t exactly working out in her favour anyway. A change would be a blessing.

“Of course I’m sure, doofus. You’re my best friend, and I could really use some support with the new kiddo coming in.” Demi replied, hoping it wouldn’t scare Marissa away.

“I would love to move in with you guys!” Marissa squealed and grabbed Demi, hugging her tight.

The two girls jumped in excitement; finally everything was falling into place. Everything was going to be perfect from now on.