Chapter 18 - Just Call Me Rapunzel

Start from the beginning

“Yes.”

“Are you going to-”

“Jace, I'm fine,” I sigh. “You don't have to worry about me anymore.”

“Alright, I'm just going kind of far so I want you to be okay.”

“I'm fine. Go have fun,” I say as he pulls into the driveway. It feels like we were just doing this, which we kind of were; last night wasn't that long ago.

“Alright,” he sighs. “Bye, Sammy. I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I smile.

“Bye, Sam,” Kasen smirks. “I love you.”

“I will kill you,” Jace growls.

“Hate your guts,” I stick my tongue out at Kasen and I slam the door in his face. He is such a dweeb.

Jace waits this time until someone opens the door. It takes a minute for anyone to respond, but Hadley eventually comes to the door. She is a little surprised to see me so early, about four hours early, but she lets me in regardless and Jace drives away.

“Why are you here so early?” she wonders without a single greeting.

“Hello, Hadley. And Jace was going to make me go to a basketball game with him if I didn't come sooner. I was not about to ditch our plans.”

“Good because my family is going out at five, so we'll be alone then anyway. Until then, I have some cleaning to do. If you help me, we can get done a little faster.”

“Sure, I can help you,” I smile, throwing my purse by her couch and kicking off my vans. She guides me to her laundry room where they keep all of their cleaning products and we get to work.

We clean all of their bathrooms and her whole entire kitchen before three and her mom is very shocked.

“You girls are great,” she compliments us. “Thank you so much for your help.”

“Anytime, Mom,” Hadley smiles. I smile too, but only for a bit before I think of how amazing it would be to have my mom at home like this. Not only home, but to a point where I could see her every day and where she would actually care about Jace and me like she used to. I am honestly very jealous of Hadley's situation. She has the perfect family while mine is so broken and useless.

“What would you like to do now, Sam?” she wonders, putting the cleaning stuff away. “I think we've done our share of cleaning for the week. My brothers can do the rest.”

“I don't know, what is there?” I wonder, trying to smile. Time is going to slow and I'm about to go crazy.

“Well, I honestly have no idea. We could do anything really. We could play a game, we could mess around with my pictures. We could go stalk cute boys on Facebook. What would you like?”

“You pick,” I say.

“Want to play Mario Kart Wii?” she wonders, smiling a little. “I love some good competition.”

“Sure,” I say. It seems like video games pass the time pretty quickly. My nerves will be twitching like crazy with worry if I don't get doing something quickly. We get right to it and honestly we truly have a blast.

After our little Wii session, it was finally time to go perform the deed and let me just say, I was so confused. I didn't know whether to be super excited or super nervous, but either way I wanted to hear his voice and I was going to do whatever was possible to hear it.

"Are you ready?" Hadley asks, grabbing her car keys. They make a loud noise in the empty house as her parents and siblings are already gone.

"I am so nervous," I say, biting my lip. "What if he freaks out on me or what if he just shuts the door in my face?"