Chapter 6: The 40/40

(Brandy & Monica - The Boy Is Mine)
**REREAD CHAPTER 5 BEFORE YOU CONTINUE TO UNDERSTAND WTF IS GOING ON**

-Maya's POV-

I woke up alone in my bed the next morning, I had so many mixed feelings about Jidenna coming over tomorrow night. I was happy that he was coming over and having dinner with me & my sisters, but I am worried about what he's about to go through. Winnie tends to be overly blunt with no filter & Philichar is not easy to please at all. I'm still not even sure if I want to pursue a romantic relationship with Jidenna, sure he was good looking, smart, charismatic, ambitious, and all around seemed like a good guy. But I don't know him... the real him. And with what I went through with Nathan during our nearly three year relationship, I don't want to risk going through that again. I just hope he can handle being interrogated by my sisters. As I Sat up in my bed stretching out my arms, I heard a knock on my door. "Who is it?" I pushed aside a loose section of my messy hair. "It's me Philichar, can we talk for a minute please?" I heard her voice echoed behind my door. "Yeah, sure come in." I replied. I sat up a little more as she walked in and leaned against my dresser while crossing her ankles."I just wanted to first apologize for the words I've said yesterday. I had no right to speak to you in that manner. As much as I want to keep you from all the dangers in the world, you are a grown woman and you should be able to make your own decisions. And I should accept & respect  those decisions, bringing up one of the most heartbreaking & horrific time of your life was very wrong. I just hope you can forgive me Maya." I got up from my bed & quickly embraced Philichar then looked her in the eyes. "I know it took a lot for you to say all that & I forgive you." I went proceeded to get out of bed & hug her tightly and she mirrored my embrace, we then let go of each other and started giggling. "Now that we got that squared away. Let's talk about this young gentleman you've been seeing."  She sat on my bed and patted the mattress for me to sit by her. I playfully rolled my eyes and sat next to her. "So tell me all about this young man who has you running away from home?" she went straight for the kill. "I didn't run away from home. I just went out with a friend and just didn't tell y'all when I'd come back." I swiftly replied. "Well whatever you did, I wanna know all about who the man that has you doing it." she joked back. "His name is Jidenna, I recently interviewed him for my podcast. But apparently, we knew each other back in college." "Oh, he went to UCLA too?" she questioned in a curious tone. "Um no, he went to Stanford. I would travel with Nate to go to his shows & hang out with them." Philichar furrowed her brow. "He friends with Nathan?" "I don't know, he may have been at one point. But it was never brought it up." "You should know if he still talks with Nathan or not. No telling if Jidenna's even reporting to him about your interactions together." Phi spoke in a worrisome tone. "I'm spretty sure he's not, but I'll ask." I reassured her. "I just want you to be more careful this time around, you gotta think more with your head than your heart." I nodded in agreement. "So when is he coming over for dinner?" she pressed on. "Tomorrow night at 8." I replied. "Okay, good. So what's your plans for tonight?" she probed. "I'm gonna go over to his place and cook for him. I promised that I would so I won't be here tonight." "Will you be gone all night?" Phi raised an eyebrow at me. I devilishly smirked at her & said "I dunno, I might be." she scoffed at me. "Your ass better be over here to prep this food for tomorrow night Maya. I'm not cooking all that food myself for your new man." she rapidly stood up. "Okay, okay, okay! I was joking big sis, damn." I chuckled at her reaction. "I'm not even sure if I want him as my man just yet." I got up and headed to my bathroom.

Phi followed me and leaned against my doorframe. "Well I hope you don't take too long to make your decision because men catch feelings out here too..." "And if you don't want him, I'll take him off your hands." Winnie cut in as she busted through my door and hopped into my bed with a lollipop in her mouth. "Shut up Winnie!" I exclaimed while brushing my teeth. "I'm just saying, what's the hesitation? He's fine as hell." "Well, it takes much more than being fine to choose someone as a mate Win." Philichar answered. "Ohhh kay, other than him being fine as hell... he's college educated with a career, from what I'm seeing he's successful at. He obviously enjoys spending his time with you & he likes you back. So once again, what's the hesitation?" She rolled off the bed to join Philichar on the opposite doorframe. "I just want to feel him out and get to know him more than I did in the past and even last night." I sheepishly defended. "Bullshit." Winnie scoffed. "You just waiting on shit to go wrong like you always." Philichar rolled her eyes. "No I'm not!" I heavily protested. "Yeah, you are. It's been nearly three years since you left that piece of shit Nathan. You need to stop bracing for the worst and going with the flow when comes to love for once." I sighed. "Maybe I should." I started thinking. "You need to be cautiously going with the flow." Philichar interjected. Winnie rolled her eyes at her. "You gotta be kidding me." she spoke under her breath as she began to walk away. "Got something to say Winnie?" Philichar turned to her and crossed her arms. "You're feeding her bullshit Phi." Winnie turned around. My eyes widened. "Excuse me?!" Philichar responded. "What you just said, literally made no damn sense. How can she 'cautiously go with the flow' ?! It's either you succumb to your feelings or don't! She Can't fear a man she loves or love the man she fears! Stop trying to create a grey area for everything Philichar!" "Look, I'm just trying to make sure that she is making a conscientious choice about who she allows in her life!" Philichar Rebutted. "Well at this rate she'll have nobody in her life! You had her out here for the longest thinking every nigga who walks past her is out to hurt her!" "That's not true, I want Maya to make the best decisions she can! And watch your language!" "Bitch it is true!" "LANGUAGE!" Philichar cut in screaming. "Hoe please, I'll cuss if I want to. I'm a grown fucking woman!" My eyes darted back and forth between the two of them arguing. Winnie did have some very valid points for once, but so did Philichar. "Our sister has a chance, a real fucking chance at finding true love with him. And all you want to do is build up a wall of doubt and suspicion around her because of that asshole Nathan. You are still letting him control her."