Ego: Divide and Conquer

Start from the beginning

"Just, relax. I want to go home with Harry." I said. My head was pounding. I walked back to Harry, he hugged me tightly peppering kisses to the crown of my head.

"I'm so sorry." He kept repeating.

"Stop apologizing. It was an accident. I just want to go home." I didn't say anything to anyone I just walked Harry following close behind. I entered the backseat of his car and ignored him when he told me to sit up front.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were working with her?" I asked my headache has passed slightly with my head leaning against the cold window.

"I didn't think it was important." He answered.

"Bullshit!" I chuckled deadpan.

"Would you have wanted to know?"

"No but I would have gotten over it. I was thinking this whole time that you when you were being secretive and sneaky it had something to do with her. What is it about her? Is her throat deeper than mine, is it because she sucked your di-"

"Valerie! You are drunk, tired, and probably have a fucking headache you need to fucking stop."

"And if I don't? Are you going to come back here and slap me up some more!"

"Shut. Up."

"Do not tell me what to do Harry!" I yelled back. The alcohol and hit made my head fuzzy and it made me angry. I'm not an angry drunk.

"You need to sleep it off." I was getting angry at how calm he suddenly became.

"Are you fucking her again?" I asked. I don't know why I am so mad, I just am.

"No for fucks sake Valerie!"

"Should I believe you? Your track record isn't exactly the best."

"Believe what you fucking want! How do I know your not fucking Niall?"

"Maybe I am. Maybe when you sneak out of the house and I'm feeling lonely,"

"Stop."

I continued, "I call him over."

"Valerie." His knuckles gripped the steering wheel till his knuckles were ghost white.

"And we fuck. Maybe whenever I go to his house for movie night we don't even watch movies because we can't keep are fucking hands off each other."

"SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!" He screamed looking at me his face and bare chest red with anger. I quieted down crossing my arms over my chest until we reached the apartment. I exited the car as soon as we got into the garage walking ahead of Harry towards the elevator.

I pushed the button before Harry got there and it opened just in time for both of us to step in. Damn him and his long legs. We rode up in silence, he unlocked the door quietly, I pushed him to far but I don't regret it.

"Get inside." He said through gritted teeth.

I stepped in. He closed the door and I could hear him breathing in and out slowly.

"I'm not staying here tonight." He said going in the room to pack an overnight bag.

"Don't. Please." I said quietly, I can't take having the house empty. Can you spell desperate. I didn't care what opinion my conscience had.

"Call Niall." He took off his costume changing into a black t-shirt and jeans that had seen better days.

"It's okay for you to yell and scream and say whatever you want to hurt me but when I do it you run for the hills? Go if you are going if I'm not here tomorrow then you know why." I stated.

"So you're willing to break up with me because of a fight we had."

"You're such a hypocrite and you don't even realize it." I said grabbing at my hair frustrated.

"I'm not breaking up with you though. I'm going to spend the night at a hotel and I will be back when you slept off the alcohol."

"Do not patronize me Harry." I said.

"You want me to stay? Fine! I'll stay." He dropped his bag on the floor and tossed his keys on the coffee table.

I let out a frustrated groan before stomping off to the bedroom, I slammed the door shut behind me before kicking off my shoes, worst Halloween ever. I stripped out of the suit and went into the in suite bathroom to shower and brush my teeth, I stayed under the warm tap for a while after I washed off the glitter and makeup. I changed into one of his old white t-shirts he doesn't wear anymore but it always smells like him no matter how many times I wash it and a pair of shorts.

I start to drift off but not before I hear the soft pad of his feet coming towards the door. He opened the door as quietly as possible. The bed dipped on his side and he pulled me closer to him with his arms wrapped securely around my waist.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too." I said turning around to face him, his arms still wrapped around me.

"You make me crazy, you know that?" He said kissing my forehead.

"We'll go crazy together then." I said quietly. We fell asleep like that the soft thumps of our hearts were our lullaby.