chapter 95

I stare out the window at the never ending trail of snowflakes falling from the white abyss that is the sky. The wind is blowing in every direction, causing the already fallen snow to whirl around on the grounds.

Professor McGonagall walks into the Transfiguration classroom and holds her hands up to silence the talkative students. "Professor Dumbledore has instructed me to spread a message to you all. Under no circumstances will any student be permitted to ponder about outdoors during this time. All students must remain indoors until further notice."

I turn my head to look out the window once more. Truth is, I was looking forward to winter after coming up with the ingenious idea to build the world's largest snowman. That idea however, will have to be postponed for another time. I drop my head onto the cold desk with a disappointed sigh.

The sound of whispers erupt in the classroom until McGonagall once again silences us with a simple gesture.

"Now onto today's lesson about transfiguring your goblet into the animals presented to you on the board."

*

I walk into the common room after classes and spot the boys all huddled around that same large piece of parchment. Remus is the first to take notice of my entrance and after mumbling something to the rest, they all scramble to hide the big thing.

I make a mental note to interrogate the boys about it later.

"Anyone else find it ridiculous? Not allowing students to step foot outside?" James scrunches his face up in disgust.

"She never said we're not allowed." Peter raises his eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah, she did actually." Sirius says.

I stare at him with an unamused look. "Well whatever, rules are for cowards. I'm gonna be the one to break this one."

"Woah, woah, woah!" Sirius shakes his head from side to side. "If anyone's going outside without permission, it'll be me." He sassily rests his hands on his hips.

"Yeah, you wish." I roll my eyes.

"I'm going outside now." He dramatically flicks his Gryffindor scarf around his neck.

"And anyways, I can stay outside way longer than you can." I continue, this time challenging the boy.

"Yeah, yeah. You're all talk and no action." Sirius bickers back, zipping up his coat.

"Fine! We-we'll both go and see who will win, once and for all!" I yell forcefully, stomping away to retrieve my boots.

*

Sirius and I shuffle beside one another, shivering wildly as the wind hits our faces. I turn to him and it looks like he's in as much pain as I am in. "You c-c-cold?" I ask him, though the answer is obvious.

He braves a smirk. "N-Not a chance. A-Are you?"

I scoff. "N-No way!"

We walk, braving the cold for a few more seconds before I admit defeat. "Okay, Sirius, I'm freezing!" I shaky laugh tumbles past my lips.

A moment passes without another word and I stare at him knowingly. "Me too." He finally admits.

"I s-suppose we should go back then." I stutter, "It'll be really cold on the way back." I note as the wind decides to change directions.

"Better stay close then." He grins.

"What are you going to do? Tie our scarves around each other?" I mock.

He stops in his tracks and I do as well. I face him with a curious look, wrapping my arms around myself. "What?"

He rolls his eyes playfully and grabs my scarf, pulling me into a kiss.