chapter 24

History of Magic. Hogwarts' most boring subject taught by the most boring of professors, who also happens to be a ghost, Professor Binns. I think this may be my toughest subject, for whatever reason, I am physically incapable of retaining this information. "Now, I will hand back your essays from last week." Professor Binns floats to the front of the classroom and with a swish of his ghostly wand, the stack of papers begin handing themselves out. When my evaluation comes to rest on my shared table with Marlene, I think nothing of the way it flips itself face down. That is, until I pick it up and my eyes meet the mark Binns has given my essay. My heart palpitates in my chest and my eyes fill with tears. No one but Sirius takes notice of my flustered state and he mouths a concerned "are you okay?" from across the room.

I cast my eyes down and clutch the parchment until it crumples in my tight grasp and my knuckles turn white. That's it, I'm dead meat at home. I might as well move in with James. Mum will boot me straight out of the house the minute she finds out how badly I've done.

I feel completely overwhelmed when I make my next move. I grab my shoulder bag, and my failed essay and run straight out the door, not even sparing a glance at the many people calling my name.

I don't even know where I'm going I just keep allowing my feet to guide me wherever. I know this may seem a tad overdramatic, to be so upset about a failed essay, but it's so much more than that. Mum's approval means the most to me even though I don't want it to. I want her to be proud of me. That's why I push myself so hard to do well.

I don't know how long I've been walking but somehow I find myself on the grounds outside. I sit on a small bank and allow my tears to spill from my eyes, blurring my vision. I release choked sobs and rest my head against my knees.

I feel gentle arms wrap around my shoulders and I lift my head to find Sirius Black sitting beside me with a look of worry adorning his beautiful face. "What happened, love?"

I sniffle a little. "I f-failed my essay. I know it shouldn't be this big of a deal as I'm making it but I don't want to disappoint my mum again. It's all I do. I can't do anything right. I'm a failure."

His eyebrows knit together and he places his hands on either side of my face, gently turning my head to face him. He wipes away my tears with the pads of his thumbs and says, "Chiara Holland, you are not a failure." I laugh bitterly, and he continues more sternly now. "Listen to me. You are so bright. I love the way your mind works and the things you think up. And I also know what it feels like to have so much pressure on you to be who someone else wants you to be."

I gaze into those stormy orbs that I've come to adore so dearly and my bottom lip trembles. "I'm sorry, Sirius."

"What for?"

"For everything you have to go through at home. It's so unfair." I shake my head from side to side angrily. "You're the greatest person in the world and you don't deserve any of what life's handed you."

He smiles a genuine smile and I feel my heart melt at the sight. "Life handed me you. In my book that makes up for everything my family puts me through."

He doesn't realize the impact his words have on me. I don't know what I feel but it's intense and nothing I've ever felt with anyone before. "You're something else, Sirius Onion." I giggle.

Instead of correcting me as he usually would, he simply turns back toward the view ahead and I do the same resting my head against his shoulder.