chapter 16

"Chiara!" I faintly hear the sound of my name being called downstairs. I decide to ignore said voice and squeeze my eyes shut tighter, trying to get back into the rhythm of sleep. "CHIARA!" This time the voice is louder and much more forceful.

Lily grumbles tiredly and leans on her elbows on her bed. "Chiara, if you don't go see what the bloody Hell Potter wants, I will, and we both know how that will end."

"All right," I say, my voice groggy from the sleep that I'm being deprived of. "I'll go see what he wants from me." I stumble down the stairs and upon catching sight of me, James grins from ear to ear.

"There you are! I was beginning to think you'd died up there. Let's go, missy! Chop chop! Let's not wait for the grass to grow." He says, much too animatedly for this time of the morning.

"It's four thirty in the morning, James Fleamont last name." I whisper-yell.

"I told you she wouldn't like this." Sirius says, his voice raspy and his hair sticking up in all directions. "And it's Potter."

"What is?" I ask thoroughly confused.

"His last name." Sirius replies.

"What?" I ask, no less confused than before. "What?" Sirius tilts his head to the side, also appearing suddenly befuddled in his sleepy state.

"It doesn't even matter." I vigorously shake my head as if clearing all thoughts away. "What's the deal? I could be sleeping and dreaming about flying around or something right about now." I tap my foot against the stone floor impatiently.

"Why dream about it when you could be doing the real thing?" James smirks.

*

"Ah, Quidditch. Merlin's gift to man, and man's gift to Merlin." James sighs contentedly, breathing in the brisk outdoor air of the Quidditch field.

Sirius rolls his grey eyes and mocks James behind his back, causing me to giggle. James turns around at the sound of my laughter and raises a suspicious eyebrow at a now smiling Sirius. "Okay! I've brought two Bludgers for you two to practice with, and a Quaffle for myself. Remember that this is just practice before tryouts, so no judgement if you miss. However, if you miss during tryouts, I will not hesitate to pretend like I don't know you two."

"Real motivational, James." Sirius snarks.

"Shut it, Sirius." He scowls at the boy and I have to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at his serious expression. "Now, let's get to practicing!" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a whistle. He brings it to his lips and blows on it, emitting a high pitch screeching sound.

"Oh dear, who gave James a whistle?" I remark causing Sirius and I burst into laughter.

*

After hours of James ordering me and Sirius to "move faster" and "play better", he finally allows us to take a lunch break.

I am currently covered in sweat and feel icky all over, wanting nothing more than to have a shower and sleep for the rest of my life.

I collapse beside Lily in the great hall and heave out a heavy sigh. "What happened to you?" Lily asks, her voice laced with amusement.

"James Potter, that's what."