Chapter 3.

Mai watched in amazement at all the food I scarfed down as I drank my tea afterward, wondering if I should order more.

 "Mai, is there a gym open here that I could go work out at or maybe even a shooting range? It has been a few days since I have had a chance to get any practice in." I say.

 "Sorry, not here there isn't. The Moroi have not had a need for them so far. They really need to change their ways, though, now that everyone knows there are other supernaturals out there. I will guess sooner or later they will add those things, but I bet it does not happen till one of the royal family gets attacked by something other than a Strigoi." Mai says.

 "Have you ever seen one or helped kill one? For that matter, have you done that with any supernatural creature, Mai?" I ask.

 "No, they try to keep us Moroi away from areas where that could happen. If we are around a place like that, say in Vegas, then our businesses or I should say Moroi businesses, have a dhampir hired to guard them and protect against things like that from happening." Mai says.

 "Yes, I have heard they only kill vampires, as in strigoi. Maybe that will change soon. As you see, I am here to train and learn more about the strigoi and their weaknesses. So that is a change for the good, is it not?" I ask Mai.

 "I guess, but will it be enough? Have you seen a werewolf and what one can do just in its human form?" Mai asks.

 "Let's head back to my place so you are able to see it and we can talk more there while I unpack," I suggest as I toss a couple of hundred dollars onto the table for my dinner as I get up.

 "You're a student here, correct? I am just wondering as you are not Moroi or dhampir so this would be a first in our history." Mai says.

 "Yes I am a student here for now but I also must still work to keep the bills paid so to speak. I am also here to make sure that all the new training is in order now that many supernaturals are in the open. As I was told you only kill vampires meaning strigoi but there is another type and they sometimes work with Strigoi, so this is also an opportunity for me to hone my working skills as a hunter." I tell her.

 "But how could you be a hunter at such a young age? I know you are one of the tallest people I have ever met and assume that you are stronger than most people. But you can not be much older than maybe 21 at most, and the academy would not have invited you unless you were very skilled at what you do. I hope this doesn't sound rude but how many kills do you have under your belt, and were they with help or all on your own?" Mai asked.

 "You are more intelligent or wiser than many here for your age. To be honest I probably have more kills than your top 10 hunters combined. All of them solo as I have a tendency to lose partners fairly quickly as many get too cocky or confident in their abilities so at some point or another do not listen or decide to strike out on their own, only for me to hear about their deaths or turnings a few months later. A couple may have lasted a year or so, but they tended to be more cautious and did more research on their targets before taking a contract. Their downfall has normally because of a leak from an employer or an unknown such as running into a supernatural they were not hunting or had not hunted before. Unlike someone being turned by a strigoi, the result can be a very efficient killer that cannot handle a change into a monster as they put it, or some target in the past had very good relations and their partners put a hit out on the hunter. This normally means proof of the kill by a beheading, which most do not survive from." I explain as we walk up to my lodgings.

 "Wow, this place is yours? We all thought it was being built for some type of new training or a holding cell or jail of some sort. There have been so many rumors about it because of how it had been built." Mai says as we walk into the building.