Chapter 7: Before the court.

Start from the beginning

Fists clenched I said nothing as I watched him turn to exit the way he had just come. The other two followed without another word.

This time I did curse, then looked over at my mate who was surprisingly still asleep.

“Kaio.”

“Yes my Lord?”

“Take Malik to the lodge. I will call for you when I can.”

…………………………..

~Tony~

To be completely honest I had no idea what was going on but whatever it was it couldn’t be good. I’d woken up to Kaio shaking me roughly, brows furrowed in concern. I’d been shocked  to see that we had landed, usually I was a light sleeper; I had to be and I couldn’t understand what had made me sleep so deeply, that I hadn’t even realized we’d touched down.

What was even stranger though, was how Rien was acting and the fact that we were sitting in the back of some other fancy vehicle in complete silence.

The one time I’d opened my mouth, he’d shot me a warning glance that had me snapping it shut and turning away from him. It was strange behavior even for him, and instinct told me something was happening here; something that even Rien couldn’t control.

We’d been driving around for about an hour but I had absolutely no idea where we were or where we were headed. The windows were tinted pitch black so that the only thing I could see when I looked to my left was my reflection, but from the way Rien stared at his, I got the impression, he could see through it just fine.

Another strange thing was the fact that Kaio wasn’t with us and as far as I could tell Kaio never left Rien’s side. I rubbed my arms trying to dispel the uneasy feeling I had as I glanced over at Rien who still had yet to utter a word.

He just sat there, legs crossed, arms clasped in his lap and eyes planted on his window. His stiff posture told me he was tense and it hit me that I had never seen him like this before. He was usually oozing confidence and dripping with power.

I didn’t know whether to be concerned about what this all meant or to gloat at this interesting new development. In the end I chose to suffocate in the thick wall of silence that he had raised between us, allowing myself to wonder and to wait.

Eventually though when even the silence got to be too much, I decided to pull my tail from between my legs and turned to him.

“Is there a reason we’re sitting here in complete silence?”

 “I’m surprised you’re bothered by it. I usually have to force the words out of you.” He commented in a dry tone and I gritted my teeth.

“What’s going on? Who were those morons from earlier?”

The ones I’d seen standing by the other car as soon as I’d exited the plane. The ones who hadn’t even bothered to glance my way; as if I wasn’t even there.

It was then that the car finally came to a stop and he finally looked at me. “We’ll continue this conversation when we’re alone.” And a moment later our doors were being pulled open and he was stepping out of the vehicle, I had no choice but the follow.

The first thing that popped into my head when I first caught sight of the place was that I must have been dreaming, then when I managed to come back to my senses after realizing that just about everyone standing around us were vampires; my second thought was that this must be his coven.

The third and final thing that popped up in my head after catching sight of Rien’s less than excited expression however, was that something was very very wrong and even this particularly beautiful setting couldn’t do much to mask reality.