Chapter 10: The Sleepers

Start from the beginning

         "No, I understand. You two are kinda funny and I need that. Truth be told, Lindsey and I are not clicking. I'm gonna be there for her since we are technically together, but I honestly don't feel romance with her anymore. That flame died before the sleepers came around."

         "Sleepers?" Mika wrinkles her nose in confusion.

         "Oh yeah, that's what we call the 'bad guys'."

         "Oh, okay. Continue what you were saying," Sage says.

         "Lindsey, yeah I just don't see us together like that anymore. But I haven't said anything to her about it. She has already dealt with so much. I couldn't do that to her," I pull out a stool and take a seat at the white counter, "Kris, the older guy?" they nod their heads, "he's my uncle... and a war veteran, too. He actually fought against Kakos back in the day."

         Sage and Mika both raise their eyebrows in interest. They're both impressed by my uncle Kris, and truth be told, so am I.

         "Kennedy, the other girl, she also lost her parents. When it all started, she ran up to my house screaming that people had just ambushed her party. Then it happened at my house almost immediately. This girl has come a long way."

         "That's terrible," Sage says, covering her mouth.

         Mika takes another drink of her soda and asks, "And the guy with those striking blue eyes?" she makes a funny sound when she says striking.

         "Wow," I snicker, "that's what everybody says about him. His name is Titus. We're good friends and go to school together. He's a great guy."

         "And a cute one," says Sage.

         "I'll make sure to tell him you think that," I joke with her, "and Owen, he basically ran into us. He's really smart and gave us a lot of information. He somehow got out of a sleeper camp. That's where they keep people they capture."

         "Wow," Mika and Sage say together.

         Owen, Kris, and Caspian march into our gossip session. "Get ready. Tonight, we're doing something risky," Titus says, snapping his fingers.

         Kris explains, "We're using the darkness to hide, and we're making our way out of the sleeper zone. Caspian says there is a farm a few miles through a field. Maybe we can use the barn as shelter. It's progress to get out of the sleeper zone. That's what we have to do."

         "What if we're attacked... or they have night vision?" I ask.

         "It's worth the risk. We can't sit here," Caspian tells me.

         "I don't think we can sit anywhere for too long," Owen says as he passes him and enters the living room.

         Owen goes and tells the others. The rest of us gather our things and prepare for tonight's adventure. I don't think there's any going back.

__________

         We all stand outside ready and prepared for our journey—our exodus. It's just a few miles through a field. I'm somewhat surprised—yet relieved—that Lindsey voluntarily is on the other side of the group from me. As I stare at her in the darkness, I can't help but feel like garbage. A total jerk. Why is this complicated? She isn't for me. I feel empty inside because I feel this way. I can make sure she is okay and help her through this mess, but I can't beat myself up because of the way I feel. You can't help the way you feel.